Ultimate Subaru Message Board

auto to manual

I am faced with a decision in the near future as to what to do with my car. Tha auto tranny in my 1990 loyale works but has some problems with the lifters, I beleive, and I am expecting it to die within 15,000 miles. I have a 5 speed from a GL lying around that is a good transmission. The only difference that I will have to change that I know of is the axles and hubs, loyale axel is a bit beafier the gl and doesnt fit in the hub, will there be any gear ratio problems with changing to a GL front end and keeping the loyale rear end? I will have to swap out tranny and t case, will I have to swap out the drive shafts as well? What can I expect and are their some good threads someone can point me to to learn more about this tranny swap. This is a hassel but will complete my dream Subaru.

Yeah, Ive been searching and have found some good stuff but I am unclear on a few things. I have an 87 non-turbo that has a perfect drive train, I drove it for years and there are no problems with it, just a bad engine. How can I find out the different gear ratios of the knuckle and axle to make sure they are compatible with my 90 turbo, which has a good engine, does it say somewhere on the parts what the ratios are? On a side note, can I remove everything from the back and slip the tranny in from the back instead of removing the engine and implanting it from the front? Any step by steps anyone can find on the web or this site would help me greatly.

Turbo automatic will be 3.70:1 differential, and 5 spd D/R will be 3.90:1. Look in the sticker of the REAR differential to check the ratio.... I can tell you it will require you swap the rear diff, driveline, and front axles as well as the pedal assembly, flywheel and clutch setup.... transmission of course, and it's cross member. Possibly part of the exhaust, but I doubt it.

Your front axles are the wrong spline count for the 5 spd tranny.... you can either swap the whole axle, or just the inner joint. Up to you. Personally it's easier to do the joint I think.

GD

What do you mean by inner joint? Do you mean the joint connecting to the tranny stub? How is that changed? Also...since I am going to be changing the entire driveline besides a few major parts will I be able to slip the tranny to the motor and bolt it in from the back end instead of pulling the motor? Thanks for the input General

Turbo automatic will be 3.70:1 differential, and 5 spd D/R will be 3.90:1. Look in the sticker of the REAR differential to check the ratio.... I can tell you it will require you swap the rear diff, driveline, and front axles as well as the pedal assembly, flywheel and clutch setup.... transmission of course, and it's cross member. Possibly part of the exhaust, but I doubt it.

Your front axles are the wrong spline count for the 5 spd tranny.... you can either swap the whole axle, or just the inner joint. Up to you. Personally it's easier to do the joint I think.

GD

he means the inner joint on the half shaft itself, pretty much building axle that will work with both the splines on the turbo hubs, and on the non-turbo stubs of the transmission.

as for removal of the transmission I couldnt tell you for sure, but i have heard that its WAAY easier to remove the engine and tranny out through the top than drop it out the bottom. what you gotta do is unbolt the intake manifold from the heads, drop the exhaust, leave everything connected to the intake manifold and set that where the spare tire normally goes. I'm not sure what you need to do about the turbo if thats an issue. anyways, after you do that its pretty simple, you might want to drain all your fluids to make things lighter, break the transmission and motor mounts loose and then pull the engine out through the hood. you may or may not need to remove the radiator, but it will give you more room to work.

hopefully I got that right but I have no clue because i've never done it, especially not to an ea82t

I dont know much about auto trannies, but from what I hear it might just be an electrical/vacuum problem which is causing it to not work right? I think you're much better off trying to fix that, because if you swap in a non-turbo 5spd you'll be going from having a daily driver to having a project. just something to keep in mind

I've removed EA82 engines and transmissions separately and together. It's not all that difficult to remove the trans, especially since you're going to have to remove all the pieces anyway. I'd leave the engine in place and drop the trans.

You can use the non-turbo tranny in the turbo car with no troubles at all. The turbo automatic tranny probally has a torque converter going bad. That seems to be the most common part to go on those. I've seen three go bad in the last two years.

Just do the swap and you won't regret it.