Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'84 turbo coupe with a weird tranny issue

So LUVMYRBAT's daughter has this '84 t-coupe. Yesterday, while driving around town, the tranny started making a whirring noise on decelleration. I took it for a quick test drive (and BTW, it hauls butt compared to the turbo Brat) and heard the same sound. Whenever you're on the decelleration, it has this loud whirring sound coming from the transmission. Acelleration and cruising it seems fine, no slippage, just the sound when you're off the gas. I have yet to crawl underneath it to see if there's a chance of something rubbing on it somewhere but its weird. Also, on decelleration, with the tranny in neutral, it makes the same noise but not as loud and the speed of it goes with the speed of the car. Any thoughts?

Oh, tranny has been replaced before in this car. This is the replacement tranny LUVMYBRAT got from TurboXT a few months ago. No problems until this.

sweet, I also forgot to mention that he said it wasn't reading on the stick so he added like a quart and a half to it before he could read it on the stick. Fluid seemed to be all right in color but I'll drive it again and see if there is a fluid swappage between the front diff and the tranny. Anymore thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

well I pulled out the govenor today on my day off hopin to see a bad apple core syndrom but not so:banghead: the govenor actually looked great very little if any signs of apple coring. good news for that but bad news overall, looks like a tranny swap is in order.

well I pulled out the govenor today on my day off hopin to see a bad apple core syndrom but not so:banghead: the govenor actually looked great very little if any signs of apple coring. good news for that but bad news overall, looks like a tranny swap is in order.

If the govenor gear looks good, save it when you replace the tranny. Could be worth something to someone down the line.