Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crashed my GL10

This actually happened a few weeks ago, but I've been getting lots of PM's about it so I thought I would just post a thread to let everyone know what happened :

Since I got the new injectors I decided to bring the car to school and use our brand new Dyno to tune it, so around 12 I got finished and had it dialed in at 12:1 air/fuel ratio and the car was running perfect, it made 166whp and 198lbs of torque! Since I got the injectors and fixed my lean condition and finally got a real tune in I picked up 50hp! :) Gotta love tuning

This was with Stock Turbo@12psi no intercooler and 92octane.

Anyways, around 12 I decided to go get some lunch and see how she ran, I was going down Stark doing about 35mph (35zone) just crusin, then a guy from a parking lot comes flying out of the driveway without even looking! The road was wet since it just rained 30min before, I hit the brakes but they instantly locked up, so I slammed it in 4-HI, dropped it in 2nd and floored it to powerslide around him, I missed him by about an inch, then tried to correct the massive oversteer from avoiding him but the 13-inch tires just weren't enough and I hit a curb, blew the front left tire, then I was along for the ride with no control, I jumped a median then sideswiped a wooden post. The guy never even stopped, when I went back to the scene he was gone!!!! I WAS SO PISSED!

End result, both passenger doors are screwed, front right fender is bent, and the passenger mirror is distroyed (it was power)

Everything else is ok, im still pissed off about it, since I have liability insurance and even then they would total it, so I'm just gonna fix it myself, its just a shame since it was the origional paint from 1987 and it was perfect! Anyone who's seen the car in person knows how good the paint was.

Idiots!!....

and we pay for their brain dead manuevers.... I feel for you. In these older Roo's we don't have the benefits of Airbags, extra re-inforced steel doors etc... when I take my wagon or Brat out I drive like I am on a motorcycle and I am a target as we a definently are at a disadvantage verses a bigger SUV etc... but we are definently squirlier!:brow: (spelling -5)

Glad too hear you didn't colide into him... but sorry to hear about the damage done to your car.

Oh... and nice job on the Tune-up.

it seems strange to me that instead of modulating your brakes and steering you took the time to shift 2 levers.

There was no way I could stop, the brakes on these things are ************, and I've been in lots of close calls and I know the brakes, when the lock up your done and messing around with them wont stop you, so its time for evasive manouvers, I allready knew they were going to lock up because I know this car very well.

They were all new as well and they are 4-wheel disc. Its just the suspension and tires on these things cant perform, thats why I converting to 5-lug and some nice 16 inch wheels and tires.

ahhhhHHHHH!!!!! at least your work on the mechanical parts of the car isnt a total loss... thats horrible.

hey what school you go to? trying to think of where that might be... not MHCC is it? I heard something about a dyno but I dont know anything about it.

a long time ago I realized that it doesn't pay to try to swerve around idiots... just gotta do what you can to keep control and minimize the impact... when you start swerving to avoid idiots you end up with a lot more trouble, especially when you hit something/someone and they just drive away...

hit the idiots... it's good for them...

--Spiffy

I've known friends who just hit the brakes hard enough to leave skid marks and taken their hands off the wheel. They were also driving shixbox cars and trucks, so they didn't care. Taught the people who cut out a hard lesson though.

Soobscript: good aim! looks like it was dead center. What was left of the engine?

Soobscript: good aim! looks like it was dead center. What was left of the engine?

yep, nailed the Subaru grille emblem. engine got pushed back and up, dogbone is bent at like 30 degrees. i still need to get the hood open, but everything looks intact. can't say the same thing for the 5000 mile 2-row radiator though, or the rest of the car for that matter. right now i'm betting it runs. SUBARU, FTW! :headbang: [/hijack]

yep, nailed the Subaru grille emblem. engine got pushed back and up, dogbone is bent at like 30 degrees. i still need to get the hood open, but everything looks intact. can't say the same thing for the 5000 mile 2-row radiator though, or the rest of the car for that matter. right now i'm betting it runs. SUBARU, FTW! :headbang: [/hijack]

[hijack] There IS that RX in Utah that I could go get for you if you'd like. I got a spare fuel pump to throw in it and drive it back here. Shoot me a PM and we'll talk [/hijack]