Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mouse nest in my Blower - yuck.

I've cleaned out a lot of nasty stuff from cars, but this was pretty gross. The mice made a nest in the blower motor, and the A/C evap housing. Was able to get the junk out with a peice of hooked wire, and some acrobatics under the dash - didn't have to remove the dash, just opened up the evap housing by removing the 5 front clips that hold it together...

nest.jpg

air_evap_housing.jpg

GD

Thats pretty nasty. Ive seen one of those in a 70 olds cutlass SX with a 455 that had been sitting for awhile. My old 86 suby hatch probably had a small one but i was lazy and just turned the blower on full blast and cleaned it out that way :)

yeah... you should have seen the garbage in my blowers and vents. my car had sat for a good 9 years before I got it... it was so bad it was coming out of the vents, the airways and everything were packed SOO dense. I still cant get the smell out.

that looks exactly like what the mice did to my '85 GL wagon... pulled that crud out of the vents for days... and out of the glove box...

I also had to spray a bunch of Febreeze deep down into the vents so the mouse sh*t smell would go away...

after that the fan always clicked a bit while it was running... drove me insane but it still worked...

--Spiffy

that looks exactly like what the mice did to my '85 GL wagon... pulled that crud out of the vents for days... and out of the glove box...

I also had to spray a bunch of Febreeze deep down into the vents so the mouse sh*t smell would go away...

after that the fan always clicked a bit while it was running... drove me insane but it still worked...

--Spiffy

:lol: one of our neighbors by our farm has an 84 wagon, and at the start of this winter his fan started making a whole bunch of noise, I told him about all the garbage I had found in my subaru, so a couple days later he pulls things apart and finds a frozen mouse all cut up from the fan, it was frozen SOLID.

a couple days later he pulls things apart and finds a frozen mouse all cut up from the fan, it was frozen SOLID.

oh man that is nasty!

I trapped my rodent and then set him free (at 55mph on the highway)...

--Spiffy

Yea, same thing was in my GL-10 sedan. It was by the yard of a field and was siting for quite some time. I found my mouse in the runk storage area and tried to kill it with a piece of exhaust pipe, but it was lucky enought to escape through the holes in the trunk.

I just turned on my fan and it all came out, didn't know there was a door to open.

I tried turning on the fan - that's what ate the blower motor. With AC, there is no place for the stuff to go when it's on the wrong side of the AC evap core (think AL radiator, but smallish). So it was trapped. Mouse...... correction MICE (too big to be a single occupancy dwelling :lol:) were displaced when I drove it home 20 miles from the guys yard. Gives a new meaning to "mobile home"

GD

When I resurrected my Justy, I encountered the exact same problem. The mouse had a regular Hilton set up. He had pine needles and insulation (exactly like in your pic) piled up ontop of my heater core. Justy cores lay horizontal. Stored ontop of this was seeds & nuts to last him through a holocaust. The insulation was stuffed in the main feeder pipe coming from the blower and there was mouse equivilent to a kingsize bed ontop of the blower. I found this mouse Hilton the first time I tried it. I was lucky. It did`nt destroy my blower, but made a mess. I took the blower apart and cleaned out the main pipe to the core. I used compressed air to blow out the remainder and collected for the most part about a paper bag full from the cleaning. For the next couple of months, I was still pulling the remainders from all of the vents. I also had to combat a smell from what was seeds and nuts that had rotted. I have full flow now and enough heat to bake bread.....

Just an FYI - rat/mouse nests and poop droppings need to be cleaned out with safety measures because of the potential for disease or virus. Use facemask and gloves and use disinfectent. Here at our Marine base in our oldest buildings (circa 1940's), when they find such, especially old dried poop, they close it off until a hazmat crew cleans it out. :dead: r/ PK