Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 gl wagon - alt belt

Catastrophic alternator belt failure last night and why does it always happen when you out in the deep of night and on a lonely road? :)

Looking at the belt I think it was just a really cheap one. The one I got from napa seems thicker.

I noticed that the inner edge of the belt is brushing the idler for the inner belt... but I dont think was the cause and I think that when the new belt wears in a bit it wont brush anymore.

Last night was unreal.... I and some other people tryed to rig something so we would charge at least part of the drive home... Gotta give Milton and Vinny a lot of credit... they found no less then 4 belts... was a good try even if they were all a bit too big.

I had to drive down the country roads with only parking lights... and I put on the heads when we saw another car... Somehow or another we made it.. the batt was so low even the ignition was breaking up and I had to undershift to keep running.

15 miles with no alt.... and it started this am too.

And the belt is 2 inchs larger then that listed at napa.... and Im gonna carry a spare.