Ultimate Subaru Message Board

advice on carby rebuild.

i'm rebuilding the hitachi carb on my '84 wagon. never done one of these. done a couple quadra-jets on my chevys but never one of these foreign jobbies. already found the base gasket doesn't come with the kit, one would think it should! so any of you guys have any tips/advice on what to watch out for or things to do that may not be in the manual??

try not to wiggle the vacuum lines much.On my 84 brat I broke some expensive plastic items that way.So I bought a weber(less than the price of said expensive plastic item)

still need to find/make an adapter then my subi will run again...

I just did the hitachi on my '82 a month ago...

you mean there's a manual?!

it's pretty straightforward... take it apart, clean it, put it back together with as many new parts as they give you in your rebuild kit...

as far as the base gasket, it looks like it's a couple gaskets with a riser piece of rubber or something in between that comes off the intake manifold... I just made sure not to take a scraper to the gasket... I wiggled it off, all the gaskets stayed on the intake, nothing tore, so I just put it back on that way after cleaning up the seal...

--Spiffy

Don't lose the accelerator pump check ball - they may or may not give you a new one. It's plastic and about the size of a BB.

Make sure everything is VERY clean. The hitachi doesn't like any amount of debris in it.

replace the float needle and seat - they are hard to get out, but old ones sometimes stick closed randomly.

Just stuff I've noticed..... money better spent in my opinion is on a weber or SPFI setup. The price really isn't a lot more if you spend wisely. Get a used weber, order the adaptor, rebuild kit, and proper jets, and it should not cost more than $200

GD

I just did the hitachi on my '82 a month ago...

you mean there's a manual?!

it's pretty straightforward... take it apart, clean it, put it back together with as many new parts as they give you in your rebuild kit...

as far as the base gasket, it looks like it's a couple gaskets with a riser piece of rubber or something in between that comes off the intake manifold... I just made sure not to take a scraper to the gasket... I wiggled it off, all the gaskets stayed on the intake, nothing tore, so I just put it back on that way after cleaning up the seal...

--Spiffy

mine is pretty thrashed. whats the tech term so i can get another one?

It's not rubber - it's a "carb spacer" and it's made from some kind of fiber-board material. I generally just scrape them clean and use new gaskets on either side of them. If it's broken..... get one from the junk yard.

GD

hey nice wagon! mine is just like it. 'cept i don't have the digi dash or A/C. was that a sun roof on yours? don't have that either.

100_0324.JPG

*edit* - you bought that off another board member didn't ya? It's been to my house before - he bought a hitch from me for either that wagon or his dads wagon - can't recall. Hitch came off my Brat.

Ah..... yes well..... mine isn't quite like yours. Mine was originally 2WD actually. Probably would have been a GL-10 if it had the 4WD. Yes - factory sunroof equipped. Be VERY VERY glad you don't have a digi-dash. I converted it to 4WD (I'll never do another one!), and now it's well.... I'll let it speak for itself. The digi-dash blew one day, and I always had a yearning for the 1980-81 orange cluster, so I converted it to analog (never do that again either.... probably. heh).

side.jpg

mud_action.jpg

GD

yes, i got it from boosted84wagon who got it from oregonboy. i just realized i need one of those "wings" that go above the rear window! needs a few things but other than that she's in beautiful shape.