Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carbureted woes

I'm relatively new to working on Subarus, and carbureted engines as a whole. I bought a 1987 DL wagon, EA82 engine, and manual transmission. Thus far, I've replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter, replaced the timing belts, radiator, distributor cap ... we've regapped the plugs, adjusted the idle, and timed this beast. Also fixed a vacuum leak or two. While in some ways everything I've done to this car has made it better, I've absolutely no low end power.

It idles OK, and when I can finally get it up and running, it really flies. But, off of the line, I have a seriously difficult time getting ANY power at all. I essentially have to hold down the gas pedal and let out the clutch and just hold on until it's moving into the higher RPMs.

I'm not sure where to go from here. If anyone can either recommend a solution, or point me to a forum thread that would give me some direction, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

PK

Sounds like a typical EA82 - you realize that engine only has 84 HP right? 90 HP if it's the SPFI engine (fuel injection).

If it has a carb, check the vacuum line going the secondary barrel actuator - these are usually cracked, and the secondary won't open at all. Seen that several times. Makes for a very slow car.

GD

Have you driven any 80's carbed under 2L cars before? This would help to understand what they feel like. The carbed EA82 is pretty gutless. But its not that hard to drive (if you don't want to get a 10sec quarter mile every start.) Do you have a tacho on this car? I normaly rev my dads 85 wagon to about 2k and keep it there while slipping the clutch, then change around 4k.

As for if there is a problem. Check all your plug leads (pull one off a plug, only one at a time, and put a screw drive in the end and hold the screw driver upto a earth, i.e the body of the car or the engine casing.)

You should get a 5mm or so spark.. be careful of cause. The coil can give one hell of a zap.

How does the car rev while not under power? Can you rev it very freely?

yeah.. dont shift untill 4-4.5k rpms, not only will it be a slug you also wont get as good a fuel economy as you could be. these cars get all their power in the 3.5-5k rpm range, meaning they also get all their efficiency at this range. sounds weird at first but shifting before 4k is worse for your engine because you will lug it down putting a load on it under 3 grand.

I realize it's supposed to be pretty gutless, but I also don't think that it's supposed to take over a minute to get the car actually rolling.

I will check the spark on all the plugs and see how that works out. I will grab my book and check into the vacuum line going the secondary barrel actuator.

Yeah, it revs pretty well at idle. It's just nearly impossible to get moving, but once it's up to speed, it works fine. Heaven forbid I slow down at all, tho.

I only seem to have this trouble at lower RPMs. When I finally get it up and going in first gear, shifting to second gear, then to third isn't an issue at all. That's why I didn't lean towards it being the clutch. However, when I come upon a stop and start slowing down, it loses all power again.

I had this exact same problem with my '82 last month... turned out that my primary in the carb was clogged and the only way it would get any gas, and also move, was for me to floor it and open up the secondary...

I rebuilt the carb and now it's runs great...

--Spiffy