Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got bored while waiting for my weber...*more pics pg3*

Its not going to be here till monday or tuesday, but I got bored and decided to clean things up a little bit, and paint the intake... I decided since I was doing that I might as well at least do a half rump roast job painting the block from inside the car to cover up the stains I couldnt get out of it. Also using almost brand new hardware for everything, and when I took things apart I managed to not break any bolt which is amazing because they were so corroded and gunked up(especially the intake manifold bolts). I still need to get some more hardware before I can bolt the alternator back on. So far all the emissions stuff is gone except for the pcv system. I still have yet to plug the EGR port on the head because i cant get the fitting off. If I still cant get it off when my weber gets here I will probably just clamp it shut and then weld it.

Other things I have done to this since I broke down a week or so ago include: new distributor, new coil, new cap and rotor, new fuel pump and filters, most anything rubber/tubing whatever has been replaced or will be shortly. Pretty much all I have left to do other than install the weber kit is get new plugs and wires and tune everything up and I should be fairly happy. Oh yeah I need to research a little bit about ripping the computer and all its electronics out.

anyways here are the pics:

before(excuse the mess...):

P3270460.JPG

after:

P4020467.JPG

P4020469.JPG

why my neighbors hate me:

P3270462.JPG

P4020470.JPG

P4020471.JPG

how much masking did you do?why does it seem like it rained in your engine bay?

I didnt do any masking, aka "half assed"

I took the intake manifold, alternator, alternator bracket, and thermostat housing off and painted individually. The only "masking" I did was covering up the holes in the alternator when I painted it so I wouldnt cause any problems. I did that yesterday when it was dry, I was putting stuff back together today and well, today it is raining and I dont have any cover. I figure once I get everything back together and hooked up on the car it will be hard to notice the paint on the block not being too good, besides it will get muddy soon enough.

Yeah - my engine bay used to be "pretty".... I don't even try anymore. I spend my time making things water/corrosion proof, and vibration/shock proof. To hell with the paint. Haven't washed my wagon in well over a year, and I have no intention of ever doing it.... I'll scrub it before I paint it OD green maybe. Either that or I am considering orange/blue/white camo. Not sure i want to attract that much attention. Likely I'll just get some carc paint from surplus and spray it with a thick layer of OD over black rust prevention.

GD

Yeah - my engine bay used to be "pretty".... I don't even try anymore. I spend my time making things water/corrosion proof, and vibration/shock proof. To hell with the paint. Haven't washed my wagon in well over a year, and I have no intention of ever doing it.... I'll scrub it before I paint it OD green maybe. Either that or I am considering orange/blue/white camo. Not sure i want to attract that much attention. Likely I'll just get some carc paint from surplus and spray it with a thick layer of OD over black rust prevention.

GD

my sentiments exactly. I took all that stuff off so I could get those vacuum manifolds out and just clear some of the clutter and I had the paint so I was like eh.. I got time to burn. I'm not sure I'm even going to paint my wagon any more but I had been thinking about just painting it flat black, OD or OD white/grey and black camo. Its hard not to attract a lot of attention with this thing no matter what color it is... flat/semi-gloss or a darker OD is our best bet.

those bushwacker flares on that jeep in the backround are ugly.... :-p

I agree, but my brother offered to come along in his jeep as my support crew. Funny thing is, I only got the soob stuck once and *showing off* he tried to prove the jeep better by taking the same trail I got stuck on... Within 1 foot of where I got the sooby stuck, he bent his tie rod!

I have a few pics if anybody is interested in seeing them... This is just a *little* off topic, maybe I should start a new thread?

I agree, but my brother offered to come along in his jeep as my support crew. Funny thing is, I only got the soob stuck once and *showing off* he tried to prove the jeep better by taking the same trail I got stuck on... Within 1 foot of where I got the sooby stuck, he bent his tie rod!

I have a few pics if anybody is interested in seeing them... This is just a *little* off topic, maybe I should start a new thread?

oh yes please do, in the offroad forum. I cant really slam cherokees cause i had one once and it was pretty awesome, and yeah I banged up my tierod quite a few times but it was fun. it was a pos but it was fun, your bro just wanted an excuse to come along :-p

I like the Pathy wheels on your Sub. Makes me miss my old '89 Pathfinder.

eh, I've never been near a pathfinder before, but I wish I had the center caps for these. I dont think they look all that good, but the offset and width of the rim is PERFECT.

man... I feel like a lil kid... "are we there yet? are we there yet? aww comon are we there yet?"

except its more like, "is it here yet?" I was sleepin this morning, and someone knocks on the door real loud and no one else is awake thats home so I jump up and get dressed super fast rush downstairs and... its my aunt, shes really cool and I havent seen her in a while but all the same... :-(

It would be cool if you could take some pics of the weber install. And maybe do a write up. The write up thats in the usrm sucks. We need detailed write up of how to install a weber. Maybe pointers to which lines are which. Some of us are not mechanically inclined.:confused: I want to install my weber so I don't have to pay my mechanic to do it. But I can't find a good weber install write up.

Thanks

It would be cool if you could take some pics of the weber install. And maybe do a write up. The write up thats in the usrm sucks. We need detailed write up of how to install a weber. Maybe pointers to which lines are which. Some of us are not mechanically inclined.:confused: I want to install my weber so I don't have to pay my mechanic to do it. But I can't find a good weber install write up.

Thanks

I'll try, although some of the work is already done and I'm not sure what and what not was needed for a weber. I cant wait any longer damnit!!! when's the brown santa gonna show up, I got everything set up and ready to go :confused:

ok its here... too late to install, but I am looking through the kit and I dont see a plate to block off the egr port in the intake manifold like they said would be in it, I really dont want to fab one up cause anything I make will be ugly but...... bleh, I guess since I plugged the holes for the egr pipe I could always put the valve back on but I'd rather have a cleaner smaller lighter plate.

ok I got it about halfway done, carb is mounted, distributor is in, all I have to do now is clean up the wiring mess for my fuel pump, hook up the fuel lines and linkages and figure out how the automatic choke is supposed to be installed and I should be pretty darned happy... gonna save all the noisy stuff for tomorrow when my neighbors wont complain bout it -.-

before I bolted carb down and got disty in:

P4040479.JPG

P4040478.JPG

:banana:

I love the paint job. Mine has a similar scheme.

Word of caution: the paint in my pulley grooves wore of by the belt. The paint dust made the clean painted engine dirty in that area. I ended up taking the belts off, sracping the remaining paint off, and de-dusting with brake cleaner.

!!! DO NOT PAINT THE BOLT MOUNTING SURFACES ON ANY PULLEYS !!! (especially the crank)

!!! DO NOT PAINT CAM SPROCKET TEETH !!!

after_in.jpg

engine_weds.jpg

yeah... your's is done a lot better than mine, I didnt bother masking or anything, just cleaned it up best I could and sprayed in the general direction of the block :grin: I did take time doing the intake manifold and thermostat housing and alternator tho since I took them off. Its gonna get dirty really quick :headbang: