Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T problems

Got my new RX running today. all that was wrong with it was the timing belts were put on wrong. LOL.. gotta love a 200 dollar car.

So I'm getting two codes @ the ecu now. My Chiltons isnt RX specific but it gave me these two for the codes

Code 21 - Water temp sensor

Code 44 - Duty Solenoid Valve Waste gate control

Are these correct for a 88 RX coupe?

I did have one vac line unhooked on the top of the right side of the engine. I looked for a place for it to go, but couldnt find one. It has a one way check valve inline where its unplugged. this go to the duty solenoid?

The turbo light wasnt coming on either anywhere between 3 and 5000 rpms. something isnt right there. the mechanic that was working on the car is a idiot, so I'm not suprized if something is unhooked.

I went back and cleaned the contacts on the water temp switch on the thermostat housing and noticed that the coolant temp sensor on the rear of the block has the wires siliconed to sensor, so I think that solves the water temp code.

As for the dutyseliniod, is that the thing with two wires going to it and two vac lines mounted on the right strut tower?

I still dont havea place for the vac line with the one way valve. I looked and one of the elec selinoids on the intake has the piece broke off it.

those codes are correct.

Skip's mock-up of the WGDS setup: (note that the physical orientations aren't accurate)

wastegatesetup1.jpg

my strut tower stuff unhooked:

wgds_hose_labels.jpg

(labels could be wrong, memory is foggy, Skip's are correct for sure though)

even without the TURBO light on, are you getting boost?

thanks for the pictures guys. thats what I needed to see.

Since we are on the subject, where do I T into to add a boost gauge and manual boost controller? I'd also like to get a A/F gauge. hell I save some time typing out everything. I wanna make this thing rip. I'm going to the junk yard tommorow to find a Saab Intercooler. What year/make do I need to pull it from?

thanks for the pictures guys. thats what I needed to see.

Since we are on the subject, where do I T into to add a boost gauge and manual boost controller? I'd also like to get a A/F gauge. hell I save some time typing out everything. I wanna make this thing rip. I'm going to the junk yard tommorow to find a Saab Intercooler. What year/make do I need to pull it from?

Tie the boost guage into any intake port past the throttle body. I'd highly recommend the Innovate LC-1 or LM-1 for A/F. The cheap narrow band sensors and guages don't do a turbo car justice and you should be weary about tuning by them.