Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Found ecu conectors, but I have alot of codes, does this sound right.

Well I did find the connectors like someone said, under the dash.

I dont know if there is a blinking to tell its in diognostics mode or just starts throwing codes, I also was't sure on to connect both but I did this.

No plugs connected I kept getting long,long, short. So thats 21 right

Just green got same thing and heard the furel pump

I cant really remember what happend with both but I think it was still just 21.

Just black I got all these.

21, 23, 32, 33, 34, 35, 42, and then it repeats all over again. :eek:

so if thats right then all those will make the Check engine light on, or just the one that I got with out any plugs which was 21.

so are these right

21 coolent temp sensor ( would explain why hot or cold it wont start without giveing it gas)

23 afm :mad:

32 02

33 Vehicle speed sensor:rolleyes: ( my tranny does slip)

34 EGR solenoid

35 Purge control solenoid :confused: ( whats this)

42 Idel switch ( I did just put on a bpv and tap it into this hose)

and then it repeats

All I see now is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So can somone please tell me that I checked for codes wrong and tell me how to check them right if so. I really hope that this can't be right. The CEL only used to flicker while driveing sometimes ( even before I put on the bpv) so what the heck. I have a soob with lots of issues then. Also what should zI fix first, im thinking the coolent temp sensor and from there on.

You checked them right. No connectors show current codes. Black connectors show history.

First you need to clear your codes. This gets rid of old codes that are no londer relevant. Connect the blacks (history) and the greens (test mode) and start the car, let it run for a minute. Turn it off, disconnect plugs. Turn key on - this will show you current codes. Connect black plugs, turn key on - make sure all you erased all the old codes (only current one(s) should show). (disconnecting the battery for a while will also clear codes)

Coolant temp sensor is very common. The harness plug is probably corroded. Clean it, make sure all 4 contacts are clean (2 on sensor, 2 on plug), apply dielectric grease if you have it, reconnect.

After "fixing" your CTS, clear ECU trouble codes again. Then re-check codes and you should be good.

21 coolent temp sensor ( would explain why hot or cold it wont start without giveing it gas).

Yup my old vortex had a dirty CTS and needed foot on the floor to start it. Just cleaning the connectors made such a big difference!!! It starts after about a second on the key now - no gas, hot or cold.

KELTIK

35 Purge control solenoid :confused: ( whats this)

First, do what the other replies suggest to verify the codes. The purge solenoid looks like the EGR solenoid. It is in the same area on the passenger side intake manifold. It controls when the evaporative emmissions system sucks the gasoline fumes previously captured by the charcoal cannister into the intake. I replace these with Toyota or Honda valves, since they don't fail like the Subaru ones. You have to make minor bracket mods and wire splices to the alien parts.

Dave

Dave i'd be interested in Part Numbers and the wiring mods you had to do.

-Brian

I'll see if I can get a couple of good pics in the next day or 2. I never had part numbers - I went to a local junkyard where they let me go looking at the Toyotas. There were 2-5 of the solenoids under the hood on them. The donors were similar age to the Subies. Take some of the Toyota vacuume line, and the little air filters that are on them.

The wiring is simple. Cut the connector off of the dead Subaru part, keeping the wire on the connector end. Cut the connector off of the Toyota part, keeping the wire on the solenoid. Each has 2 wires, connect one to one, other to other, doesn't matter which. I use heat shrink with a little RTV red smeared over the joint first to seal it.

I'll have to check the plumbing part, since the ports are slightly different from the Subaru ones. You need a good Subaru solenoid to figure it out. just have to trace the 2 air paths with the coil energised, and not energised.

Dave