Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front diffrential, accel, or tranny. One is going to blow apart. help

Well I have had my CEL light on and I don't think this effects it, I think it just happened to start even before the CEL light stayed on for good. Car is an 87 3AT GL-10 4WD turbo.

Let me try and describe this sound my car makes, Try and stay with me on this. It sounds like when an accel goes bad like a click, click, but times ten like a clank, clank, clunk, clunk kinda grinding or binding up type sound from the engine compartment. Now unless the accels in these cars make this sound when bad but I doubt its them because when it happens I can feel the pulses it makes trough the gas pedal.

It does it anytime it wants, no matter the speed, rpm, cruiseing or coasting, light on the gas or heavy it will make this sound loud or soft.

When it does I can turn the wheel while driveing and it will stop. While moveing slowly at a stop or backing up in my driveway while turning it does it but when slowly moveing and this is where it sounds like a binding, grinding type noise loud.

My tranny is bad it does slip when cold and sometimes wont down shift when warm but will most of the time. Also when its warm and I shift into revers I hear a clunk. Doesnt make this clunk in drive.

So what do you guys think, the accel, diffrential, or the whole tranny. :rolleyes: Thanks

replace the axle and you'll be golden. and don't keep driving it like that, sounds like it's about to go.

your weird trans shifting is probably just vaccuum or governor related...i'm not well versed on the 3AT but likely you can resolve that issue with some searching on this board.

what is an "accel" anyway. never seen that one mentioned before. is that a 3AT only part that i don't know about?

I ment axel, it was really late and I can't spell anyways:rolleyes: .

Ok then, I was woried it was something worse, yea it does varry with speed, and is loud sometimes then soft.

Does seem the worst at low speeds while corniering, but while driveing and turning it will stop.

Thanks guys I will get this fixed.