Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well, Time to fix this thing.

Hey guys, new to the forum, and I got a 92 loyale that i need to get running again. Hope you guys can help me out. It turns over but won't fire. I've replaced the distributer and the rotor. I've got the distributer firing order right, but now i can't figure out what is up. Thanx :)

Possibly a broken timing belt. Pull the distributor cap and see if the rotor turns with the engine. If it doesn't, you have a broken timing belt. It's a non-interference engine so no harm done if it breaks, just put new belts on and make sure it's timed properly.

Welcome to the forum. We'll help you get this car going again.

I would first suggest you make sure that power is getting to both sides of the coil. You should see around 12 volts on the plus and minus sides of the coil connections. If that is ok then I would suspect the ignitor as the problem, since you have replaced the disty already with hopefully a known good one.

I take it that have checked the plugs while turning the engine over and don't see any spark getting to them.

Now that I think about it, I just realised that I haven't checked to see if it is getting spark, so I'll be doing that in about 20 mins.. :)

Thanx fangster, I didn't know that... :) I'm kinda new with this work on cars thing, but i am MORE than willing to do whatever it takes! :)

And finally, i know it has fuel and air, i will see about the spark in a min... what happened last time it ran was that I was in trouble with my parents... and so i forced it home, while it was overheating.. :( I also need to make sure that i've fixed that, because i found a major hole in a radiator hose, but that might not be all of it... :( anyways, i got it home, and turned it off, but it never started again.. that was in december...

thanx guys.. :)

ok, so after checking the spark, i replaced the spark plugs just to be safe... anyways... umm now when it is turned over it is backfiring i think, its shooting fuel up into the air intake housing... so i don't really know where to go from that... if anyone has any info it would be great, cause i know you are all subaru gods in here.. lol

Where;s your town, in oregon... And for it backfiring...you probably have the distributor in 180 degrees off. Take the cap off and remember where the rotor is pointing and pull it out and put it in with the rotor facing the opposite direction. NOTE: THe rotor will move as you lower the distributor. Make sure it is pointing DEAD 180.

EDIT: I just googled where that town is...you best be going to WCSS 8!

what is wcss 8

West Coast Subaru Show.

i hear it's the show to go to if your a subaru fanatic.

unless i fly over,there's no way i could go to one :(.

hope you get the loyale running.i had a gl that wouldn't start after having a tech school replace the timing belts that broke.turns out they had the cam on driversside turned 180 (so timing was way off) about an hours worth of work by my normal mechanic and she was running perfect.

BTW-have you checked your belts? even though i had two new ones in,mine kinda backfired (no start) untill i had the timing fixed.

Well... You could set the flywheel to top dead center and take the distributor cap off and the rotor should be on the #1 spark plug wire. The number 1 plug is the one that is on the passenger side the closest to the bumper...then #3 is the one next to it and 2 is on the driver's side front and #4 is closest to the distributor (AKA Disty).

If you hear backfiring, I would bet it's 180 off. Do you have a timing light and an extra person? If you do, put the light on the #1 plug and have someone crank the car over and point the light at the hole in the bell housing, where you see the flywheel, and it should flash on the numbers, if it does, your timing is close enough to at least start the car. If it doesn't it's probably 180 off.

Did you put the plug wires on right. The firing order is 1 3 2 4. #1 cylinder on the disty cap is the one that faces rearmost to the firewall. its will be closest to the clip or screw for the cap on the back side. the screw will be slightly to the right of the #1 connection

the rotor rotates counter clockwise, and #1 cylinder is ont he front passenger side of the motor

I see.. i will have to see about that timing light... I know i have the cap and all the wires right... i got the firing order down about 4 months ago when i started having problems with it... I will check out the distributer tomorrow the second i can... because i created a new problem...

I went out to my car and (since it doesn't have an interior hood release, its jimmy rigged...) i pulled it at the front of my car, and it broke off.. lol.. so i have to fix that.

I will try probly 5-6 different positions for the distributor.. i really hope that is the problem.. that would make my month!!!

thanx for the help so far guys, more info would still be useful!

There are inspection pieces on the timing belt covers. (Black plastic on the front of your engine.) Pull the passenger side inspection piece off and have someone crank the engine over, you should see the belt move. WATCH YOUR FINGERS on the belts. If you weren't soo far away, I'd come over and help.

that would be way cool... how far away is coburn? anyways.. i'll do wat i can with it tomorrow... i have to fix my hood release.. *sigh*.. it broke yesterday... lol...I'll try a couple different spots and see what i come up with then i'll get back to you guys! :)

hey. Do you have AOL instant messenger? My Screen name is crowbartherapy. Coburg is 6 miles North of eugene...like hundreds from you.:grin:. As for the hood release, if you can, get your hand in the grill, in the center, you'll see where the latch comes down. If you can get your finger behind there, you'll feel a lever, pull it to the right it should pop up.