Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New roof rack/lights changed

Update....removed two of the sucky lights and put on two that is a bit more functional... then rotated the two outside lights to use as side lights... so now I think it is safe to drive again with out further threats regarding poor roof mount Illumination techniques.

I deleated some of the other pics to condense... thanks again...

A Noob scratch built that I put together. I didn't have a wire feed and had to use an arc welder/stick. Next time I will hold out for a wire feed.

As my welding thin .065 wall sucked. I didn't have a work bench so wrestling on the ground with it more then I wanted too. We had our moments together but I think it came out all right.

My wife asks, "Why?" LOL... honestly, .... I don't know?.. cause its there?

The front of the rack is set to hold the spare tire after I lift and go larger tire. Later.....

new_rack-22.JPG

new_rack_and_light.JPG

Ha, your hood is as smashed as mine! Awesome :)

The lights aren't my thing, I much prefer round or square lights, but hey, if they work, they work.

BTW - it's UltimateSubaru.net :) .

The lights aren't my thing, I much prefer round or square lights, but hey, if they work, they work.

I'm looking for low profile , still looking for the right lights... mo$

BTW - it's UltimateSubaru.net :) .

....oops.. yea got the sticker right, not on the picture though.

Appreciate the input.

those lights look pretty good like that... but do they work worth a damn? those look too small to put out any real kinda light.

nice looking rack, didnt turn out too bad at all for stick. Trick with using smaw on smaller stuff is to use backing material.

I think that rack kicks @$$! that looks awsome dude, nice work. Go get some Rectangle ones at wall mart for cheap, or from Harbor freight for 8 dollars a pair on sale, they put out surprisingly quite a bit of light.

I like it alot.

I think that rack kicks @$$! that looks awsome dude, nice work. Go get some Rectangle ones at wall mart for cheap, or from Harbor freight for 8 dollars a pair on sale, they put out surprisingly quite a bit of light.

screw the rectangle ones, get the 100watt round pair for 16$, trust me they are tons better, or get the 100w round KC wallmart knockoffs for $10ea

BTW those really do jack.they light up the road so it looks like a constant oil patch(pretty colors)

O.K., got them wired.... hmmm... LOL.. you win.

I prefer the lower profiled lights rather then Mikie ears. When I was laying out this rack I found an expensive (mega bright) low profile set apprx $120 and put them on my wish list, I was hoping this cheap set would get me by... not close.

(Noobs :rolleyes: ) Soooo.....

Went out and got a set of cheap but functional rectangle lights which produces a long-range white beam. (A bit bigger then my wish list lights but liveable.) I will change the other two out later. When I installed the wiring I oversized the wires as I figure I would up-grade to the higher rated lights so these new lights will plug right in. I will save the others for some future use.

It was a fun and learning experience. I greatly appreciated the input.

I will start preperation for next project: clutch & new engine seals, in about 2 months, saving $.

Preperation-A through G were complete failures.

We now have a working proto-type. Ladies and gentlmen, I want to introduce you too Preperation-H!

Preperation-A through G were complete failures.

We now have a working proto-type. Ladies and gentlmen, I want to introduce you too Preperation-H!

I like the Rack!

"Preperation-H feels good on the hole"

KELTIK