Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tex's RX thread for... April '06!

Thats right kids, its back!

The never-ending quest to get a poor RX back on the road.

A little behind the scenes info for those not in the loop:

- VF11 turbo

- '86 Turbo block, heads, and cams

- Spider intake

- Custom fuel system

So... I got my "craigslist" motor in the car, and running. Idles decent. Had to turn the fuel pressure way way down, about 22psi above manifold. I get approxiametly 10-11 inhg's of vac. at idle. Spark plugs are one step colder, and timing is set at 18 or so.

What is it not doing you may ask? Well... drivability is still less than desirable. A bit of hesitation while accelerating, especially when boost starts to come on. My wideband indicates an idle of about 13:1 (varies alot) and an accelerating of about 9:1. Although when I got up higher it seemed to lean out a bit, towards 12:1.

I feel like I have a vac. leak, my idle vac. indicates I might... however I can't find one, even with the can of ether. If this is indeed the case, it would also lead to the hesitation, but my findings have turned up nill.

I've thought about advancing the timing, but after loosing 3? maybe 4? sets of headgaskets, and a couple sets of rings to detonation, i'm hesitant.

Suggestions?

I'm open for someone to come over and go over it, I can buy beer, food, and if the end results is awesome, some $$.

Also, the car is officially up for sale. I'll let it go, as sits right now, for $2300. Everything is there, just needs some tweaking. The better it runs... the higher the price goes. Grab it while its cheap!

Wish the best for you Tex. My motor has some wierd hesitation too under boost. I dont have all the cool gadgets you do, so i dunno where my fuel ratio is at. Alls I know, is i finally have low end torque. Makes power till about 4k and thats about it.

Oh, N/A block... stock RHB5 and so far, un-intercooled.

-Brian

Hey Tex did you check the shaft of the throttle body for excessive play? They will develop a vacuum leak when they are worn out.

im going to check this out on my wagon when i get a chance. im getting like 12" of vac at idle. if this is found to be faulty, do i just get another TB from the junkyard?

Poppin' in herr to give a quick update.

Checked the throttle shaft, no excessive play.

Re-checked timing, after dangerously using a wire brush to clean the rusty spinning flywheel. Found out it was at 13-14, intstead of 20! Doh! I guess I had mistaken 10 degree for 20, since it was rusty and hard to read.

Bad news. The disty was already maxed out, so Noah moved it over a tooth, managed to get it to just about 20, more like 19, but still seems to run like poo. I'll drive it tonight and see how it is.

So, therefore, vis-a-vi, ergo, concordantly, the driverside cam may be off a tooth. Weeeeee!

*this conclusion was reached, when being timed at 20 degrees, or darn near, my vac. at idle is still poo, about 11.