Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aluminum Pullys

Actually neither way requires balancing, what is required is accuracy. If rotating parts are round and concentric, they are inherently balanced.

We're used to seeing tubular drive shafts with balance weights on them; reason being that they are built on nearly automatic machinery and then balanced the same way, it is quicker and cheaper than building them straight. I used to build driveshafts, if you hold runout under .005" they don't shake.

Just thought i would let you all know. ive got a friend with a cnc machine. he just got some 6000 series stock so he said he would get me a quote for some pullys.. ive given him an ea82 pully and an ea81turbo... will let you know the price as soon as i get it....

are these the timimg belt pulleys? Im looking for an adjustable timing belt pulleys

should add a bit more grunt,

Yes, slightly faster RPM increase. Similar, more dramatic effect by lightening the flywheel. Same would be true of lighter rims. Another, probably more noticeable modification would be an alternator unloader.

Might be a good thing to make custom diameters for the engine swaps where the normal cruise RPM of the new engine would be different than it's original drivetrain.

Dave

ok so i got prices....

if i get 100 made.:eek:(50 of each ea81 ea82)

then they come to about 85 bucks which should cover flat rate shipping in the lower 48,,,

this is for a standard pully im not even going to look into underive pullys....

some thing i didnt think about though is ea81t pullys are relly light 1lb14 3/8oz oz

ea82s are 1lb 15 1/8oz now some parts are papeer thin and would require the aluminum to be thinker so im not shure if the wight savings would come through with added thinkness.....

but im only running one belt, im going to get another qoute for taking our stock steel pullys and shaving the extra grove off..... which should be darn cheep and should make them lighter.......

so a summery,,

ea81 pullys if i order 50 will be 85ish, and may not weight much less

ea82 pullys if i order 50 will be 85 ish and " " " """"""""""""""""""""""""

i think i can get the normal pullys cut down for around 15 bucks which would offer a much better bang for the buck,,,,

if you want to run power stearing then get an Toyota mr pump there electric and can be swithced on and off.....

from talking to the machinest today i think that ajustible cam pullys are going to be expensive also the are going to weigh more i think if you want to make ajustible cam pullys your better off sloting the holes that are already there and just tightning the bolts tight enough to keep them from moving or drilling a small hole in the cam and pully and puting a stud in t once you find the position you want..... as for ajustable cam pullys i think the price would be in the 300+ range. if done right...

im getting an aluminum pulley for mine (EA82), but i'm doubtful you'll come up with 100 buyers. that's alot of orders. i think mine will be custom anyway because i removed the power steering pump and went with electric power steering and i might move the alternator and install an XT6 alternator. my pulley has routings for two belts, i'd like a crank pulley with one belt design.