Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil cap....

I know this is a simple thing but;:rolleyes:

I was checking my gas and filling up my oil (front seal leak) and as I was tightening my oil fill cap I noticed it just kind of rattled when twisted on hmmmm... (remembering others earlier post on how these engines build negative pressure and these caps must seal) I noticed the gasket in the oil cap was hard/brittle and very thin and was not sealing.

so I found some rubber gasket material, cut a new one and now nice and tight. (I will call local dealer and see if original can be had.)

Still learning and appreciate all the great posts.:D

The one the dealership is likely to offer will be the wrong cap. The part number supercedes to another part, which is a screw-on style oil cap, which, of course, won't work on an EA82.

A while back I suddenly was getting an exhaust smell at idle whenever the climate controls were on anything but A/C max. It went away when I tightened the cap. I expect exhaust gases from the crankcase were getting into the A/C intake.

Plus, if your valve guides/seals are maybe just the teensiest bit worn :rolleyes:, keeping the oil cap tight helps a lot. You know, on those OTHER vehicles where you pour the oil in over the rockers and hope it seeps down to the crankcase eventually.