Ultimate Subaru Message Board

going from big to rally style

offroadsubaruguy

alright, here goes. i have decided to go from a big trail rig type of car to a more rally style wagon..... any suggestions? im currently running 2 hellas on the front, soon to be 6, im using outback struts with plans of getting lowering springs for a legacy as to drop it back down to stock height but stiffen the ride. hoping to get some white line sway bars, swap in a lsd center and rear diff.. im currently running a 2.2 with the borla header and stromung track pipe ( it deletes the first cat ) with a used to be flow master muffler, now turned into a single chamber muffler as all of the sound deadening material is burned up, and i have a lightweight flywheel, and an intake. so, heres the real question.... what should i do for more power with out going turbo? i was even contemplating making it rwd just for kicks, but havent completely figured that one out yet....... i do have a 2.5 block hanging around, and i was thinking about swaping the crank over to a 2.2 and then using the 2.5 heads and going for an aftermarket cam setup, but would it be worth it to do all that work? or should i just go for a 2.5? gimme any and all info, im open to all ideas here.... thanks guys

what car is it?

I think that an awesome setup would be some regular AGX struts with coilovers assembled from a circle track supplier. its all quality stuff and you can choose the spring rates and lengths you need. something around 200-250lb would be good. for a wagon, I would run equal rates front and rear. maybe even stiffer rear, but I like em loose.:lol:

are outback struts longer stroke than regulars, or just taller in the strut body? taller wouldnt be as valuable as longer travel IMHO. at least for rally.

!anyone know of the longest inserts you can get/adapt for suby struts?!

cheap-ish turbo:put the 2.5 heads on a an ej22e all stock bottom end. run the ej22e MLS gaskets. 8.6:1 and really good flow. get some 440 injectors, and run the ej22e ecu with e-manage. turbo, whatever. custom uppipe using the NA header, or convert to factory turbo exhaust configuration which is a lot more work and maybe not as good.

you can use the throttle body coolant lines to cool the turbo, but then you have to get some oil fittings put on the head.

NA:high compression. ej25DOHC on a SOHC block. ej22e heads on either. I run the ej22e/DOHC 2.5 because it was straight bolt up and cheap, its 10.8:1 which isnt that high for CO(altitude). an acquaintence of mine ran a 13:1 volvo B20 with a huge cam and dual 48 webers on pump gas here. I digress... delta cams. ej18 ecu if its possible, those run a ton of timing advance.

the 2.35 L requires custom pistons and is better suited to a turbo build for use of the closed deck block. for NA go big or go home on CC.

best NA motor is ported DOHC heads, bored and stroked to 2.7 or whatever it is, 12.5:1:headbang: pistons, big cobb cams. too much $$.

rwd is a gutted out and welded center diff. kinda cool, but its not really a suby anymore.

I can give you some advice from our rally driver Paul Eklund "Primitive racing "no replacement for displacement" I agree with that!

2.5l all the way.

" Torque wins races , hp sells cars.".Carroll Shelby

As far as struts you might contact Subiegal at www.subiegal.com she races a wrx wagon so she knows how to set up a wagon for rally. AGX's are great !Unless you can buck up for DMS.$$$$

what do u guys think about using wrx struts for the stock impreza's??

i bought a set of agx's with eibach springs for real cheap but only prob its from an 03 wrx...i have the front n rear top hats but im still not sure if it would be better than just getting agx for my impreza

would it work better or worse

anyone here know much bout wrx'?