Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyales fools gold

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/4192/loyalesgold15nz.jpg

I caught a glimpse of my old bearing in the sun and it really caught my eye..... Each roller in that picture has spun 7,427,531,847 times before its end of life (thats 7 billion). I am respecting its 13 years of winters to -25F and summers to 95F, and rolling along to 149,000 miles on the little 13 inch wheels .They have spun more than a tractor trailers 24.5 inch rim with over a million miles for comparison. This post has no meaning, except maybe to promote thorough checks on everything that moves on your old subaru :)

That's what the guys at Nasa said about the o-ring...

Parts ARE meant to wear out eventually, and 150k is a good run for a bearing. Grease contamination is almost inevitable at some point, and replacing the seals is often more work than just letting the fool bearing die and doing everything at once.

GD

You are quite right about grease. I took it apart a year ago and found *none* (when I first got car), but a sense of viscosity that won over the moving parts.Things can fall apart after new grease, my little car proved it to me (shrunk the bearings--no heat-> pounded thier sloppy selves right out of function). I am second guessing every pulley behind timing cover right now.... those spun even more than the numbers I came up with (and there is something whining noise and spinning fast...). I have been having fun with that camera since I found "macro mode" :)

never had tensioners , oil pump. I oiled them last year with 3-in-1 oil....I wonder what those do at 4000rpm when they've had enough:eek:

I sure am. Even about other's cars. Like that time my friends in thier ford thundebird went off the road doing 80+ with a broken tie rod and one friend died, right before my very eyes. All while knowing that car wasn't correct and being silenced by a comment just like yours."chill out, have a another beer" a "cool" friend said.( come to think of it. I dont drink anymore either). Leave my "paranoia" alone:)

there is a differance4 you drive drunk and fast your taking a considerable risk. you blow a timing belt tensoner the car loses all power you slow down gradfually and steer for the side of the road buy new t belts instal them and drive it home

and their is nothing wrong with being parinoid the govrenment's echalon system is recording evrey thing we say and a little black van just pulled up out front their here nnnnooo

i apologise to evrey one who reads this i'm going to bed now night