Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PT awd to FT awd?

I just bought a 87 gl-10 turbo wagon. Its in great shape out side. motor runs, but burns a fair amount of oil. I have my loyal to drive so the wagon it now the project car.

Can I swap out the trans for a dual range 5spd full time awd drive trans with the locking center diff? it has a part time awd 5spd in it now.

How difficult would it be to do it, and If I'm doing a EJ20 or EJ22 block swap into it, would the trans still bolt up or would it require a new trans at that point?

Anthony

your D/R fulltime should swap right in.

now if you want to swap an EJ motor in, the tranny wont bolt up without some sort of adapter, but i would think to swap the ej tranny with the motor as well.

It will swap right in, but the locking center diff will need to be wired in and the vacuum line to it. Ask on the board...someone will show/tell you how.

EDIT! About the Ej conversion. You will need a tranny adapter and a flywheel drilled out and other stuff. I didn't see that part of the question. -MATT DAMON-

If I'm doing an EJ swap, would any EJ trans bolt up? I don't have a problem finding blocks, just the tranny to go with them. if the trans get swapped out with the EJ, would I need drive shafts and a new rear end? I know the front axles won't be the same.