Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 turbo coup progress

Here I am updating on it again. Got the engine all in and everythings all hooked up good and tight. turned the car on, ignition works, dash works, fuel pump makes usallal noise... car doesn't fire when I crank it over. I spray'ed carb cleaner down it's throat and turned it over again, and it ran off the carb cleaner for a couple minutes and then died. It's behaving sadily, just like Ever Victorious's car. I'm going to check the fuel filter and fuel pump, make sure everything's working back there, and probably put fresh gas in, maybe with some injector cleaner as well, see if that helps it. I can hear the injectors all clicking and I can smell some gas when trying to crank it over. So I'm thinking the fuel pressure may not be quite high enough or not working at all. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? :banghead:

Here I am updating on it again. Got the engine all in and everythings all hooked up good and tight. turned the car on, ignition works, dash works, fuel pump makes usallal noise... car doesn't fire when I crank it over. I spray'ed carb cleaner down it's throat and turned it over again, and it ran off the carb cleaner for a couple minutes and then died. It's behaving sadily, just like Ever Victorious's car. I'm going to check the fuel filter and fuel pump, make sure everything's working back there, and probably put fresh gas in, maybe with some injector cleaner as well, see if that helps it. I can hear the injectors all clicking and I can smell some gas when trying to crank it over. So I'm thinking the fuel pressure may not be quite high enough or not working at all. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? :banghead:

I called Mike @ Smart Service yesterday to see if he could shed some light on the issue of the so-called "rear fuel filter" you wanted me to check. He said that on this model, it doesn't have an inline filter (or whatever he called it, I can't remember) near the fuel pump, but rather a screen in the tank. He said that this can sometimes get gunked up and to remove it and clean it. He also said that this is probably accessed at the top of the tank, and there should be an access port in the trunk to get to it. Ixnay on the access port in the trunk, it's a pretty darn solid floor. Didn't have time to look under the rear pass. seat.

If you find this thing, could you let me know where it is and how to remove it?

Well I haven't looked yet. My car is dead, I drained the tank, put new gas in, It's got fuel all the way up to the fuel injectors. Won't fire... unless I use starting fluid, in wich it just ran off the fluid until it ran out. Then it back fired and blew an intake gasket. So I gave up on my car. Spent 3 weeks rebuilding the top half and now I have to it all over again to watch it still not work. I was suggested to haul the car into a shop, but they're going to want alot of money to replace the intake gaskets. I suspect the fuel injectors are either bad in mine, or the electrical system that tells it to open the injectors is shot. No matter what, this car is going to be way to expencive for me to fix at this point. I think I'm going to sell both of my cars sense they're both dead... I could use the excersize.

have you checked the injectors with a DVOM to see what kind of resistance they have? How about the electrical connection at all of the injectors to see if you even have power to them. Might sounds kinda stupid but have you checked the fuses for the injectors?

yeah, Sorry about the earlier post, I think I was blowing off some steam. Anyway, fuses are good, checked all of em. I haven't checked the injector voltages or resistances... it sounds like they are not working, or don't have power, I'm thinking the crank position sensor in the disty isn't working, or somehow isn't plugged in. I'm going to check things in the daylight tomarrow and see if I can find something broken, If not, I'm sending it into Smart Service.

Ok, if you find the disty is hooked up properly etc, next thing i'd do is start unplugging things one by one - CTS, VAF, Idle/WOT switch, thats all i can think of at moment, but basically anything thats not needed for the car to run. Any of those things can cause the car not to start when bad, but it should start with tehm unplugged. Don't give up, it'll be worth it in the end!!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally figured out which sensor was the CTS and disconnected it. This did not affect anything, still does the same thing. Couldn't disconnect the MAF (well, I could have, but I was too lazy). The other sensors mentioned here, I have no idea what/where they are. (Words do me no good, I need pictures)

I'm still lost on what the CTS is? I checked my knock sensor and mass airflow sensor, still doesn't fire... Injectors are not getting power... so the ecu isn't getting the single to fire them. What and where would I find wireing problems that would cause the ecu not to get a signal to open the injectors. Anyone know?

I'm still lost on what the CTS is? I checked my knock sensor and mass airflow sensor, still doesn't fire... Injectors are not getting power... so the ecu isn't getting the single to fire them. What and where would I find wireing problems that would cause the ecu not to get a signal to open the injectors. Anyone know?

CTS = coolant temp sensor.

I would imagine the crank angle sensor might be part of the problem for the ecu not getting the right signal. I don't know what else besides that. Unless you also have a bad ECU, in which case we could test using my ECU. We can't have 3 bad ECUs between us, right?

Oh, that. the one tucked under the t-stat.

Yeah, I know it's not the ecu, because both ecu's ran the car before I replaced the engine. I'm trying to figure out where the crank angle sensor is, and how it works, the wireing diagram I have just had the four wires going to the distrubiture, and no place did it have a crank angle sensor listed in these cars. So, I don't know how thoes work.... Is the crank angle sensor in the disty, or someplace elsE?

Also, I found this thicker grey wire that appears to attach to my coil, but I don't know wich terminal it goes on, the + or - side. I can check my book later to see if it has that wire in there or not.

Something tells me my chiltons book doesn't show the complete wireing harness of the ea81 turbo's engine. It has a section on it, but alot of things seem to be missing.

CTS = coolant temp sensor.

I would imagine the crank angle sensor might be part of the problem for the ecu not getting the right signal. I don't know what else besides that. Unless you also have a bad ECU, in which case we could test using my ECU. We can't have 3 bad ECUs between us, right?

*** Ever Victorious, have you tried replacing the fuel rails on your engine? I found out theres a pressure regulator in thoes that goes bad... With my car that doesn't seem to be the case, But I'm wondering if that might be the cause in yours. I'd check the injector hoses, make sure they're real pressureised.

Oh, that. the one tucked under the t-stat.

Yeah, I know it's not the ecu, because both ecu's ran the car before I replaced the engine. I'm trying to figure out where the crank angle sensor is, and how it works, the wireing diagram I have just had the four wires going to the distrubiture, and no place did it have a crank angle sensor listed in these cars. So, I don't know how thoes work.... Is the crank angle sensor in the disty, or someplace elsE?

Also, I found this thicker grey wire that appears to attach to my coil, but I don't know wich terminal it goes on, the + or - side. I can check my book later to see if it has that wire in there or not.

Something tells me my chiltons book doesn't show the complete wireing harness of the ea81 turbo's engine. It has a section on it, but alot of things seem to be missing.

*** Ever Victorious, have you tried replacing the fuel rails on your engine? I found out theres a pressure regulator in thoes that goes bad... With my car that doesn't seem to be the case, But I'm wondering if that might be the cause in yours. I'd check the injector hoses, make sure they're real pressureised.

That gray wire goes I think to the - on your coil... it's the same post that your two yellow wires go to.

I am aware there is an FPR on the fuel rail, but I can't replace the rail... it's beyond what I'm equipped for. I do have a spare rail, though... it's still attached to the 2 injectors that I didn't replace.

As for the crank angle sensor... several people have said it hooks into the disty. I've taken the top off of mine and seen a number of connectors on top. All are securely connected and none look frayed or broken. I could not disconnect any of them. So sadly I can't be of any help here.

That gray wire goes I think to the - on your coil... it's the same post that your two yellow wires go to.

I am aware there is an FPR on the fuel rail, but I can't replace the rail... it's beyond what I'm equipped for. I do have a spare rail, though... it's still attached to the 2 injectors that I didn't replace.

I can help you do the rail, it's not too hard to do once you get past all the wireing and vacume hoses. We should check to make sure it has alot of fuel pressure infront of the injectors first. I suspect it's the fuel rail in your car though because of that funny sound it was making.

I can help you do the rail, it's not too hard to do once you get past all the wireing and vacume hoses. We should check to make sure it has alot of fuel pressure infront of the injectors first. I suspect it's the fuel rail in your car though because of that funny sound it was making.

When would you like to do this?

I don't know yet lol! I'm still not sure if Tuesday or wenesday is going to be my day off this week. I'm tempted to swap mine out to just to make sure it's not the fuel rails. I'm going to do a test, also, to make sure theres no voltage comming from the ecu by taking one of my spare fuel injectors, and plugging it in by it's self to the wire thats suposed to go to the injector on the engine, and see if I can feel it or ear it clicking when I crank the engine over.

IDEA! I should take my entire spare fuel rail, with injectors attached.... hook the wireing and fuel lines to it, and crank the engine over, see what happens. :grin: in theory, I should see fuel spray out of each injector in intervals. (for each piston, 1 then 3 then 2, then 4.

I don't know yet lol! I'm still not sure if Tuesday or wenesday is going to be my day off this week. I'm tempted to swap mine out to just to make sure it's not the fuel rails. I'm going to do a test, also, to make sure theres no voltage comming from the ecu by taking one of my spare fuel injectors, and plugging it in by it's self to the wire thats suposed to go to the injector on the engine, and see if I can feel it or ear it clicking when I crank the engine over.

IDEA! I should take my entire spare fuel rail, with injectors attached.... hook the wireing and fuel lines to it, and crank the engine over, see what happens. :grin: in theory, I should see fuel spray out of each injector in intervals. (for each piston, 1 then 3 then 2, then 4.

Well, let me know. :) On weekdays I usually don't get home till 6:30pm. Weekends I have off.

I usually have company over at that time, although one of those people in "company" wants this car on the road just as much as I do, so that might be worth an extra set of hands...

LOL ok, sundays of course would work too. And on my day off when I know what my day off is.

If you really have no power at the injectors,then you have a blown fusible link not ECU problems.The ECU completes the ground side of the circuit.Injectors should be powered all the time.

BTW Your engine doesn`t have a crank angle sensor.

If you really have no power at the injectors,then you have a blown fusible link not ECU problems.The ECU completes the ground side of the circuit.Injectors should be powered all the time.

BTW Your engine doesn`t have a crank angle sensor.

Ok. Fusable links are good. I Checked thoes as well. How does the ECU know when to give electrical signal to the injectors without a crank angle sensor? Remember, we are dealing with a multiport fuel injection system, not a single port wich is most common on none turbo ea82's.

Ok. Fusable links are good. I Checked thoes as well. How does the ECU know when to give electrical signal to the injectors without a crank angle sensor? Remember, we are dealing with a multiport fuel injection system, not a single port wich is most common on none turbo ea82's.

If they are good and you have no voltage at the injectors,you must have a bad wiring harness.

ECU receives a RPM signal(only) from the gray wire on coil -.

ECU has no indication of crank position at all other than some cyl. is at firing position.

ECU is only interested in RPM.

EA-81Ts are not sequential injection.

Ok, I'll ding around with swaping engine harnesses and see what happens. Thanks for the insight on how these cars work. I kept getting told that they have crank position sensors in the disty and that mine was probably bad... but never found it in the book under wireing so it didn't make sense. Thanks for the help! :-)

Ok, I'll ding around with swaping engine harnesses and see what happens. Thanks for the insight on how these cars work. I kept getting told that they have crank position sensors in the disty and that mine was probably bad... but never found it in the book under wireing so it didn't make sense. Thanks for the help! :-)

FYI, What they do have is a little pickup unit in the disty, and if you are getting a spark this isn't your problem, since this fires the coil as well as telling the ecu engine speed.