Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starting To Have An Overheating Problem

Today after seeing the overall gain a friend of mine had with replacing the ground points on his 240sx it got me to thinking. So i replaced the original factory ground with a bigger gauge wire. I just simply ran it back to the OEM engine grounding point. Now i just noticed that I have somewhat of an overheating problem and the voltage doesn't read as high. The wire is 51 inches long, could that have something to do with it. As of right now I am not in the mood to start replacing headgaskets and valve covers. Do you (the board in general) think I should get a smaller length wire, or start going about the thermostat replacement ordeal?

Today after seeing the overall gain a friend of mine had with replacing the ground points on his 240sx it got me to thinking. So i replaced the original factory ground with a bigger gauge wire. I just simply ran it back to the OEM engine grounding point. Now i just noticed that I have somewhat of an overheating problem and the voltage doesn't read as high. The wire is 51 inches long, could that have something to do with it. As of right now I am not in the mood to start replacing headgaskets and valve covers. Do you (the board in general) think I should get a smaller length wire, or start going about the thermostat replacement ordeal?

I would fix the voltage issue first. Your temperature gauge reading could be off due to a bad ground.

Thanks!!! I will go by the Mart De Wal tomorrow after my Economics class. Go in and pick up a considerably shorter wire. If all else fails I could just put my OEM one back one. I am probably not the only one who gets nervous when that temp gauge goes above the normal zone.

PROBLEM SOLVED: Switched the original factory ground back and solved both the voltage issue, and the overheating issue. Thanks People.

If you suspect the car to have bad grounding, its best to add ground wires, and leave the original. Most of the ground points you'll find in the engine are on painted surfaces. On both the XTs I've owned, there's a factory ground to the chassis right behind the driver's head light. Running like a 4 inch, 8-gauge wire to that point and scraping off the paint really helped in the XT6. Just get some ring terminals, wire, and run some new wires from the - terminal on the battery to key locations in the engine bay. You can't hurt anything by adding grounds.

If you suspect the car to have bad grounding, its best to add ground wires, and leave the original. Most of the ground points you'll find in the engine are on painted surfaces. On both the XTs I've owned, there's a factory ground to the chassis right behind the driver's head light. Running like a 4 inch, 8-gauge wire to that point and scraping off the paint really helped in the XT6. Just get some ring terminals, wire, and run some new wires from the - terminal on the battery to key locations in the engine bay. You can't hurt anything by adding grounds.

What I am going to have to do is reconsider my approach to doing a grounding upgrade. I made the mistake of getting longer wire thank what I needed and that caused some pretty bad effects. I will put more thought into this process next time I attempt it. As for now If it isn't broke, im not going to fix it.

Problem just came back, ran up the road and I notcied that my voltage was about 12 its usually higher, and also my heat hand was starting to rise considerably, im not certain if my fan is coming on or not. Anyone else had this problem.

Problem just came back, ran up the road and I notcied that my voltage was about 12 its usually higher, and also my heat hand was starting to rise considerably, im not certain if my fan is coming on or not. Anyone else had this problem.