Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mod Ideas?

Well Its only been about a week or so since I got my Subaru and I seem to have been bitten by the I Love Subaru's bug. I have done some research and according to what this website (http://www.economysuperstar.com/milesfox/subaru/subaru.htm), which has what your VIN number means, and what it says is my car is aparently a XT/Loyale with an engine type of 1800, an EA82 engine and is SPFI. As for what I already know my car is a 1988 GL 4 door sedan.

Ok, apparently I am going to need new shocks/struts here soon. And most of what I am going to do is driving on pavement but having the ability to go off-road of a bit or being able to drive on unimproved roads (read logging roads, as I like to go shooting) is a consideration. So what would some of you recomend for this?

Also I am considering a new exshaust system. Someone recomended a Cat Back exshaust system and another recomended a Cherry Bomb. Can you combine both? and what about improved Fuel Injectors? Can you get better ones that fit, but are better at atomizing the fuel thereby getting a better more complete burn?

Another Question, Has anyone tried the Tornado Air Thing for their engines? (website is here http://www.tornadoair.com/) and if so what was their experience.

Thanks in Advance for everyone who takes time to read and/or replies to this thread.

Sincerely,

ViceMan

Ok well, if your only doing logging roads and such, stock is plenty good enough, might be good to get some good tires, and skidplates if you dont have any.

I dont have experiance with tornado air, but from looking at it, and talking to people I think they are total BS. all I can see them possibly doing is making the air slightly more turbulent which really probably serves as more of a restriction than anything else unless your injectors are clogged or something and your not getting very good atomization. Other than that I dont have a clue in the performance dept. If you use the search function you will probably come across most answers for your questions, especially regarding injectors, exhaust and offroading.

Good luck and enjoy your subaru :)

Well Its only been about a week or so since I got my Subaru and I seem to have been bitten by the I Love Subaru's bug. I have done some research and according to what this website (http://www.economysuperstar.com/milesfox/subaru/subaru.htm), which has what your VIN number means, and what it says is my car is aparently a XT/Loyale with an engine type of 1800, an EA82 engine and is SPFI. As for what I already know my car is a 1988 GL 4 door sedan.

Ok, apparently I am going to need new shocks/struts here soon. And most of what I am going to do is driving on pavement but having the ability to go off-road of a bit or being able to drive on unimproved roads (read logging roads, as I like to go shooting) is a consideration. So what would some of you recomend for this?

Also I am considering a new exshaust system. Someone recomended a Cat Back exshaust system and another recomended a Cherry Bomb. Can you combine both? and what about improved Fuel Injectors? Can you get better ones that fit, but are better at atomizing the fuel thereby getting a better more complete burn?

Another Question, Has anyone tried the Tornado Air Thing for their engines? (website is here http://www.tornadoair.com/) and if so what was their experience.

Thanks in Advance for everyone who takes time to read and/or replies to this thread.

Sincerely,

ViceMan

welcome to the subie addiction. check out thread called 88 gl fwd exhaust mod. that may give an idea of one thing you can do i am in the process of coming up with something close to that but a two into one set up. but with a magnaflow instead of a cherrybomb or glass pack muffler. i also have 88 gl sedan. got last november. i have been driving pretty much trouble free. the car has 308,933 as of today when i pulled in the driveway coming home from work. i have some pics in the photo section. also even more pics on www.cardomain.com look under subaru gl my screen name is dragonsteel. take a look and tell me what you think. i have more pics coming tonight or tomorrow. i hope i was at least some what helpful. thanks Ken:burnout: :headbang:

Welcome! There are quite a few things you can do to mod the car. Engine swaps, suspension/body lifts and more.

Suspension:

Mine was worn out pretty bad. I installed the KYB GR-2 shocks/struts. Most people here on the board use them. I now know why. Pretty darn good. Here is where I bought mine. They had one of the lowest prices around: http://stores.ebay.com/Performance-Peddler Your part number to search for can be found at KYB's website

Tune up the engine. Instructions are available in the USRM

Exhaust? I put a cheap turbo muffler in per the instructions in the USRM

welcome!

i dont think youll find much in the range of fuel injectors with better atomization for our older cars. if youre concerned theyre a bit gummed up, run through a tank of premium fuel with a bottle of gumout.

im not familiar with SPFI, i think its like throttle body injection (1 big injector?) but the same still applies.

custom exhaust is almost always specially fabricated, so piping and mufflers are your choice. dont get much bigger diameter exhaust, or youll lose some power due to the loss of backpressure.

and dont waste your money on the tornado. you might pick up a few more mpg, but thats only because youre carrying a much lighter load in your wallet.:)