Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Non Blinking Blinkers... show me the light!

Car is: 1981 4WD GL Wagon, 1.8 - 4spd yadda-yadda

Problem: Turn signals flash normal for a SHORT while (maybe 15 seconds) then start blinking faster and faster..... THEN... they just stay solid (on). Anyone got any ideas about whats going on? Oh yea, solutions too, I'd like one of those ;).

Have a co worker comming to buy the car and need this sorted out before hand.

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -

I would look to the flasher unit as the culprit here. Can't say as I've ever ran into a problem as you describe though, so not sure.

Turn signal issues usually can be troubleshot by how they flash, or don't flash.

Rapid flashing of the dash indicator, usually indicates a front bulb is out. Dash indicator "on", but not flashing points to a rear bulb out, or the flasher unit itself if the rear bulb is lit. The system will, (umm should), work normally if the dash indicator burns out.

With that said, corrosion in the bulb sockets should aslo be looked for, especially if the bulbs are known to be good. Bad connection on either the front or rear of the system will act just like a blown bulb would.

Problem solved. It was the flasher in a roundabout way. I replaced the flasher unit with a used one a few years ago but I think my friend who I sold it to replaced it with an incorrect spec. flasher. Swapped hazard and flasher cylinders to test and the symptoms carried over. Also put in a Brand-spankin-new flasher I had sitting in the garage to the same effect... Took the 'good' one to Baxter and picked up an identical one, pluged em in and wa'la - turns out thats what it was. Didn't realize there were all too many different variations (and how/why he and I had some strange off-breed that we put in) at any rate - next step: rewiring fuel pump!

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -