Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 swap senario

LUVMYBRAT

I've read a number of threads about the whole 2.2 swap intp EA81's using just the motor and a few that are tryin to use everything, tranny and engine. The last one out here seems to be themixtoo's swap into a brat using the complete drive train, rear diff, suspesion and ect... Now he is adding a lift along with it that seems to be testing his abilities he getting there but I was thinking along those same lines. I've come across a 2wd 82/85? coupe and I also have sitting around a complete EJ2.2 awd parts car. Well you know where this is going, what a cool sleeper car it would be. I have enough 4wd drive cars and dont see the need to add a lift to this particular project. Overall whats going to be the biggest stumbling blocks to get over? Seems like rear suspensions and front suspensions stick out in my mind. I know that the tranny tunnel needs modification to, but hey what are plasma cutters and welders for anyways, ha ha. So tell me what you think? Should I get a project in motion?

I'm looking into solving the same kind of problems on a new project I'm going to start soon. EJ AWD into a hatchback, definitely a sleeper street vehicle so no lift.

I also have a complete AWD parts car and my first idea was a fulll suspension/drivetrain swap like themixtoo, but what I didn't like about that idea was the different track widths between the hatch and the legacy donor. It would come out looking like a nasty lowrider with road tires sticking out 5 inches on each side...

I'm still forming a solid plan in my head as to how to pull this whole project together. What I'm leaning toward now is using a 5-lug EA82 suspension + axles (only 1" wider each side). Should not be terribly hard to hybridize stuff like the front control arms between those two Generations. Legacy/Impreza is very different and a lot more complicated.

So I say go for it! I'll help from my side of the country... :)

There is the worlds biggest resource of Subaru conversion info - RIGHT HERE!

THOUSANDS of helpfull people

Go for it man,

If it hasn't been done before, try. The parts and bits are so cheap.

We will be pulling for you if it is new ground you are breaking.

It would be a sweet little result.

• 5 weeks later...
I've read a number of threads about the whole 2.2 swap intp EA81's Overall whats going to be the biggest stumbling blocks to get over? Seems like rear suspensions and front suspensions stick out in my mind. I know that the tranny tunnel needs modification to, but hey what are plasma cutters and welders for anyways, ha ha. So tell me what you think? Should I get a project in motion?
Sorry it took me so long to see your thread. I think you can do this without a lift but serious cutting will need to be done around the tunnel and under the rear seat area. Also, if you can get away with an aftermaket fuel cell that'll make things alot easier. The rear differential is mounted differently than early hatchbacks with 4WD. Check out the thread with the EJ22 Justy, if he could do that I'm sure you can too, but he didn't take it to the level we're headed to. Gary

well I decided that the 2wd car is going to be a parts unit. I'm taking the complete motor and lower suspension for my brat. I found out last owner put new knuckles ball joints and a few other things in it, and its also a hydro motor. All needed items for the brat. So the 2.2 swap will have to wait, hmmmmm... maybe put in t-coupe with bad motor..:rolleyes:

well I decided that the 2wd car is going to be a parts unit. I'm taking the complete motor and lower suspension for my brat. I found out last owner put new knuckles ball joints and a few other things in it, and its also a hydro motor. All needed items for the brat. So the 2.2 swap will have to wait, hmmmmm... maybe put in t-coupe with bad motor..:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nah, thats a lot of work for right now. I'd rather just swap the engine from the turbo Brat into it:D