Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Running on 3 Cylinders at idle

So, today after driving around, I parked my car, and noticed it was idling very roughly and had what looked like steam coming out my tailpipe.

After a little investigation, turned out cylinder #3 wasn't firing or something. I haven't tested to see if the spark plug is sparking, but there's a spark when I pull the cable off the distributor cap.

The engine doesn't seem to run rough once I bring it above about 1000rpm. At least, it feels like all 4 cylinders are firing.

Is this a bad HG? I noticed the coolant level was definitely low.

sounds like you hit the nail on the head..i would say it is a head gasket at the least...but hopefully only that..bubbling out the rad will be the next indicater if its pumping compression in the cooling system, this will help you determine where the leak may be ..cheers

I'm almost positive its a head gasket now. Pulled the dipstick and it was covered in milkshake, and I had to fill the radiator up about 3/4 a gallon before it was at top....

So, uh, do any of the colorado guys wanna show me how to do headgasket? :grin:

Bah wth is going on?!?...all you guys (Jeff, Mike) keep your bad mojo away from me. Finally have mine all running fine. I can help you out Mike, but it's so much easier to just yank the whole motor and do anything that needs to be done at the same time. Is that a hi-compression motor in that one, I can't seem to recall? I also have a few spare motors laying around, though none which would really help you. I do have a Gen1 turbo block and heads that is good except for a broken intake bolt in one of the heads, and a possibility of a very tiny blown headgasket (though I found out it had blown intake gasket when I replaced the engine with a JDM, so might not be a head gasket at all). Let me know what I can do for ya, can at least offer up my driveway if needed. Bribe Jerry and maybe a few other guys we can get it done no prob.