Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 Speed D/R into Brat Questions

Jibs

Ok since Mudrat won't come through with my parts I'm gonna go ahead and install a regular 5 speed into the brat. I've got the parts I need except for the flywheel but I have a question or 2. Can someone post a pic of where I need to grind the bellhousing to make the ea82 flywheel fit? I'm sure I can figure it out, but a pic would speak a thousand words. Also, since the Brat is lifted 4/3" am I gonna need to do anything else with the tranny to get it to shift better/easier? When I talked to Mudrat, he said something about welding a triangle piece of metal into the shifter to raise it up or something??? Any info or tips would be appreciated.

I followed this right here...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49952

the area to grind is the edges right where the opening at the bottom for the flywheel is... you only need to grind if the engine was originally mated to a manual tranny. I just dropped a ea81 into a 87 wagon with 5 speed, and didn't have to do any grinding, as the motor came from a car with AT.

I followed this right here...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49952

the area to grind is the edges right where the opening at the bottom for the flywheel is... you only need to grind if the engine was originally mated to a manual tranny. I just dropped a ea81 into a 87 wagon with 5 speed, and didn't have to do any grinding, as the motor came from a car with AT.

Yeah I looked theough the USRM, but wasn't quite sure. The ea81 I am using is a JDM one that WAS hooked to an AT ea81, so maybe I won't have to grind anything. I have a spare motor sitting here that I can hook the flywheel to to be sure. I'll definitely be contacting BratsRus1 on that conversion, I had forgotten he was doing that. Thanks for the help.

Right. We weren't sure if you use the ea81 crossmember, or the ea82 with ea81 tranny mounts and whatnot. I just Pm'ed Jerry with some q's on that kit.

you need to mod the ea81 tranny mounts, and they will mount to the 5 speed, and fit into the ea81 crossmember.