Ultimate Subaru Message Board

this'll save fuel!!!

This really needs to be stickied...

The fuel pump runs from the FPCU (Fuel Pump Control Unit). If the engine is NOT running, then the fuel pump is shut down to prevent it from running after a serious accident and spilling fuel all over the flamable scene.

Just because you have no power at the fuel pump does not mean it isn't working exactly as it should. It runs for a few seconds when you turn the ign. on, and runs while cranking but stops if the engine doesn't catch.

Make sure you have spark and air, etc.

GD

Hotwire the pump and see if it runs then. If it does the FPCU, a fuse or the relay are bad. On my 83 turbo (not likely the same as yours) the relay is under the pass seat. The FPCU is up above the drivers kick panel near the fuse box and ECU if your car has an ECU.

i agree with general disorder..best way to check if everything is fine..is see if you have 12v whilst cranking..if not then there is a fault with the engine revolution sensor under the drivers kick panel..or fuse...cheers

OK yes under the pass seat are 2 relays, one is burned up, well the ground wire is all the way threw the wiring harness, should i swop it out with the other wiring harness and risk it happening again? or what caused it to get that hot and melt the wire threw the wiring harnes and melt the tape?

Hotwire the pump and see if it runs then. If it does the FPCU, a fuse or the relay are bad. On my 83 turbo (not likely the same as yours) the relay is under the pass seat. The FPCU is up above the drivers kick panel near the fuse box and ECU if your car has an ECU.