Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have an idea. has anybody beat me to this mod?

i was thinking of changing the halogen lights i have that are glass. to the four sealed beams. has anybody changed the front headlights to this converted set up? the way it looks it may be possible. but i need a closer look at the 4 headlight setup. gonna try to get out this weekend to see if they have crushed this 88 dl. hope fully i can get an idea if this will work.:-\ :-\

i dont know if anyones beaten you to it.. but it should be as easy as swapping the assembly with the buckets and all.. both core supports are the same from what ive seen..

is there something wrong with the factory 1 peice or just like the looks better?

rllywgn

Well, you can have some lighting fun... On my 78, I modified the lamp mounts to put in 4 of the high/low headlights. The aftermarket kind that use 55/60W halogen H4 bulbs. Made a relay box and a panel on the dash. I could have "normal" lights, 4 low beam pattern all on, all 4 high beam on, ALL 8 filaments on. and several other combos. The high / low switch chose between 2 settings. 460watts of light plus the 55 W fog lights was pretty impressive.:grin: It really didn't matter if some one was coming toward you with their high beams on...

I made a harness - the stock one could not do this. All of the high current was controlled by relays. The alternator was stock, except I mounted a set of heavy duty rectifier diodes in another box, outside of the alternator because the internal ones kept blowing out.

I have thought of upgrading one of my Loyales with a remake of that system, just one of the too many projects...

yes, i have done this conversion. you will need the headlight bucket assy., the side marker lights (they are different-thinner), there is a plastic piece that goes under the headlights to fill in the open space out to the bumper from thelights themselves and also there is a piece of filler plastic that goes between the lights and the grille. also make sure you get the headlight pigtails and with some of the wire off your donor car (they have different plugs on the GL light bulb), this will make it easier to wire them in.

so, basically get all the front headlight assy., marker lights and grille pieces from your donor car if you want it to look completely stock ( like the DL ).

if you have all the pieces it is a direct bolt/screw in.

if you have anymore questions you can either post here or pm me. chaz

PS. IMHO, they are much brighter then the stock GL lights but make sure you put halogen lights in to get the full effect.