Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Help Asap!!!

Pretty sure its 12v. Both our EA81's have loud fuel pumps (the rear one, not the one under the hood) Once the car is running you can't hear them though. I wouldn't think they'd put a volt regulator in for the pump, doesn't seem sensible.

the one under the hood???

Pretty sure its 12v. Both our EA81's have loud fuel pumps (the rear one, not the one under the hood) Once the car is running you can't hear them though. I wouldn't think they'd put a volt regulator in for the pump, doesn't seem sensible.

It's 12v - I've wired them plenty of times for one, and for another it would be silly to use lower voltage for something like that as it's less effecient.

Early soobs had the pump under the hood - pre-82 were all like that.

They are LOUD - so loud I can "feel" the one in my Brat runnning. On the Brat the pump is much closer to the drivers seat under the cab than the rest of the models. I can hear the one on my 86 sedan too - quite loud. Both are stock pumps.

GD

so is there one under the hood or.. not, does yours run normally, or did you rig a switch to it? mine dont run, only 3 volts are at the pump, and i thought there was a bad relay but none that i find are bad, so.... i need help, whats wrong with this?

It's 12v - I've wired them plenty of times for one, and for another it would be silly to use lower voltage for something like that as it's less effecient.

They are LOUD - so loud I can "feel" the one in my Brat runnning. On the Brat the pump is much closer to the drivers seat under the cab than the rest of the models. I can hear the one on my 86 sedan too - quite loud. Both are stock pumps.

GD

GD

Hmm, weird. My brothers 83 wagon has a pump by the tank and one under the hood.

The one under the hood ticks for a bit then slows down and only ticks every so offen. But that's how it is suppose to work. The one near the tank just runs all the time.

You may have bad wiring which is only giving you a very low volt reading. Or it could be a relay. Best thing to do is get a relay off another EA81 and try it to see if that works. Just the usual troubleshooting stuff.

i been kind of doin that all day, i even swoped out wiring harness and got new relays, where is the one under the hood your talkin bout?

Hmm, weird. My brothers 83 wagon has a pump by the tank and one under the hood.

The one under the hood ticks for a bit then slows down and only ticks every so offen. But that's how it is suppose to work. The one near the tank just runs all the time.

You may have bad wiring which is only giving you a very low volt reading. Or it could be a relay. Best thing to do is get a relay off another EA81 and try it to see if that works. Just the usual troubleshooting stuff.

i been kind of doin that all day, i even swoped out wiring harness and got new relays, where is the one under the hood your talkin bout?

You don't have one under the hood - pretty much guarantee it. Only 80/81 Gen II's have the under-hood pump.

Have you checked the FPCU?

GD

so there isnt one under the hood? i dont think models would change that much, there is the one by the gas tank, like you were saying ealier, but nothin else that i can find

That's surely different - never seen anything like that here in the states. Totally bizzare.

GD

jsut to make sure, what does the FPCU look like and where,? is it under the kick panel and blue?

You don't have one under the hood - pretty much guarantee it. Only 80/81 Gen II's have the under-hood pump.

Have you checked the FPCU?

GD

ok, yea i pulled the blue box out of my parts car, and still no luck, i hace a webber carb,

It's blue? Do you have the feedback carb?!? Yuckies.

Anyway yes - it's attached to the bolt for the hood release cable - right above it.

GD

The under hood fuel pump is up by the windscreen (windsheild) wiper motor.

But it sounds like you don't have it. I have noticed these sorts of thing between Aus models and US models...

Good luck with your problem, sorry I can't be of more use.

As it was stated about the voltage at the pump the voltage is supposed to be 12 volts. It sounds like there may be a problem with the fuel pump control unit which is under the far left side of the dash on a American version.

the pump control unit is that a blue box?

As it was stated about the voltage at the pump the voltage is supposed to be 12 volts. It sounds like there may be a problem with the fuel pump control unit which is under the far left side of the dash on a American version.