Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front muffler of loyale - Q

hi.

what there is inside the front muffler of loyale(non turbo), the first muffler , near the engine?

can i open the muffler and take everything out, close it well, will it give me some HP ? will it be louder the engin nois?

thank you all.

moshe.

are you talking about the y-pipe at the front of the car, under the motor/trans?

that's a catalytic converter, specifically it's a pre-converter. in my experience there isn't much performance gain messing with the cats. a better flowing muffler at the back of the car in place of the stock muffler offers some performance gains and better gas mileage at highway speeds on an XT6. messing with the catalytic converter has offered little to no measureable improvements in my experience. i've had hollowed out catalytic converters and high flow converters, no noticeable difference. open up the exhaust too much, larger pipe, no converter...you'll end up loosing significant low end power which is really annoying for daily driving. been there, done that too. again on the XT6, but very similar engine and i'd expect similar results on a non-turbo EA82.

replacing resonator with something else with a packing (glasspack) was good for me personally, keeping factory muffler. gives a nice rumble mellow bellow and greater take-off thru the rpm range. Of course I had a serious problem with a squashed pipe behind first cat that made way too much heat for the second one, so replacing it may not help you, I pretty much had to..:-\