Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tribute to 88HatchMonster - EA82 Speedo Fix

DrKrazy

Well not really a tribute since he did his much much nicer for the EA81. I plan on doing the same thing as soon as I get my hands on another cluster I can take apart for awhile and get it right. I like to drive the lifted Roo once or twice a week so I just did a quick like fix for now but based off what 88HatchMonster came up with. So cheers to his inovation.

Did my calculations for certain speeds, ran some white numbers in a black background through a laser printer several times. Started with this:

1.jpg

Good old friend Mr. Sharpie to fill in old numbers:

2.jpg

Plotted the places for the new numbers, and added holes for backlight:

3.jpg

Placed new numbers without trimming much, so looks like hell but works:

4.jpg

And reinstalled, backlight does work just badly..but I don't care for now:

5.jpg

Project Cheap is now much happier (well at least it's owner is):

may06.jpg

Thanks for the idea 88! Now I can drive in front of cop without being super worried about how fast I'm going.

Hey looks good! Glad to provide some inspiration!

Definitely a good idea to wait until you've got an extra cluster to play with before pulling your's all the way apart. I did ruin my first tach pulling the needle off. Luckily I had another one right there ready to go in...

Those are some good shots of the EA82 cluster faces. The difference with the EA81 is pretty clear, just two big panels instead of one little one for each guage. The challenge isn't so much replicating and printing the faces so much as how to do it and keep the backlight functionality...

The challenge isn't so much replicating and printing the faces so much as how to do it and keep the backlight functionality...

YES! That's the problem I'm having trying to figure out how to make a white faced gauge for my '78 Brat... and for my RX as well:grin:

hey that looks dandy!

that is really one of the only reasons i don't want to upgrade to bigger tires... (plus lack of money but hey)

if only there was a way to change the trip aswell... (since i am planning to go into TSD rally and such... good speedo is important!)

looks like it'll serve you good!

and just to see if your interested... i got an RX dash thats missing the centre picture thingy of the car... (its also in km/h... mph in smaller print)

would be a good dash to mess around with!:)