Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T problems... i dont like these engines....

well i just got done messin with the RX. after replaced the headgaskets, intake, exhaust, seals etc its still pissin antifreeze out the tail pipe. i checked the heads over and didnt see any cracks anywhere.

So i'm guessing I either cracked a turbo or have a cracked block/cylinder.

At first start up, it ran like a dream. after about 2 min of running, here comes the antifreeze out the tail pipe. then the sputtering and running like crap. Cracked turbo would blow antifreeze through the intake, through the cylinders and out the tail pipe wouldnt it? The only reason why I think that is because it ran fine at first start up (thinking the plugs started to foul from the antifreeze getting blown into the cylinders.

Anyways, I either need to get it fixed, or its getting parted out. My D/R in my lifted wagon is going out, so I'm kinda thinking of putting the FT4wd 5 speed in my wagon along with the 3.7 LSD rear diff. How much is it going to affect my gearing with 25.5 inch tires? For offroad, I think 1st gear 4lo will still be low enough for mild crawling. Highway I could really give a crap about as long as I can get up to 65 and do the speed limit.

Please let me know what you guys think. the car is insured, so if I can't figure out whats wrong with it, its cheaper for me to part it out than try to find another EA82T up here thats still good.

i would more likely suspect that it has a crack at the exhaust valve more than a blown turbo because the turbo SHOULD BE oil cooled not water cooled......thus it would blow blue smoke rather than white smoke ( or is it actually dumping liquid on the ground?)

could also be a bad intake gasket.

good luck.

d

i would more likely suspect that it has a crack at the exhaust valve more than a blown turbo because the turbo SHOULD BE oil cooled not water cooled......thus it would blow blue smoke rather than white smoke ( or is it actually dumping liquid on the ground?)

could also be a bad intake gasket.

good luck.

d

might wanna get your facts straight the buddy. The early EA81T's had oil cooled turbos only. Then the next year for the EA81T had a oil AND water cooled turbo, and the previous year had a recall for it. ALL EA82Ts have a water cooled and oil cooled turbo in them... My guess would be a bad intake gasket. Where did you get them from? You NEED to get a set from Subaru cause all the others are crapola... trust me on this one. This is one gasket I will usually get from the dealer for all of my Subarus unless I need one that day or can get it quicker from a parts house instead of the dealer.

I installed new napa intake gaskets. I've been using those gaskets for 5 or 6 years now and I have never had a problem with them. The only thing is I was using them on N/A applications not a turbo.

the coolant is streaming on the ground at the tail pipe. it gets worse with RPMS. I wirewheeled the intake manifold and the head. one surface on the intake had a slight pit on it, but it was on the air side of the intake.

What is this pressure test I'm supposed to do?

So now that we all understand that these turbos are oil and coolant cooled, there still could be a chance its a cracked turbo? I talked to the other subaru shop in town and the main mechanic said he's seem more EA82T's with cracked turbos than with cracked heads.

Jerry - as for the EJ22, I'm kinda thinking about it. I have the adapter plate, but I don't have the flywheel redrilled. Thats gonna be the biggest thing that would stop me.

I haven't heard of very many EA82Ts getting a cracked turbo, just lots and lots of heads. I'm still betting since you said there's more with the higher RPMs that it is an intake gasket. If you think about it, the higher the RPM, the higher the RPM of the waterpump... that would be the easiest to fix out of all of them... well maybe not the turbo but those can be pretty tricky.

ahhh ok I gotcha. I just have a funny feeling about intake gasket. I dont see how a brand new gasket, torq'd to spec would fail within 5 minutes. I never boosted the engine up or anything. I started it and let it idle til it started running like crap, then I rev'd it up.

GAWD I hate turbo'd engines. waste of money and time. Over 600 bucks into a 200 dollar car with 76,000 miles on it. makes me wanna burn it

Intake gasket.

I've thrashed on many old ea82t's and seen some really far gone turbo's. Huge cracks. But the worst never pissed out water like you have described.

I have had that problem tho, after replacing some HG's late at night... it was the intake gasket. I don't know how but it was not in there right.

Intake gasket sounds likely,I would do a pressure test.

if we're thinking of the same test, get a spray bottle of soapy water, and pressurize the intake tract. spray the solution over the engine and bubbles will form where your leak is.

I would also bet it is the intake or the heads. I have been fighting the turbo on my 88 for several weeks know. I have had one of the turbos(I bought a second for parts)torn in more pieces then I think it had originally and I can't see it leaking antifreze into the intake or exhaust side.