Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I had a dream...

...last night that I was cruising the local Subaru stealership's used car lot. (I'm looking for a replacement for my RX. Did a lot of eBay and CL yesterday.) There's like 2 main rows of cars. Never seen an old gen there, but I check every once in a while.

So I have this little snippet of a vision in my dream. I turn the corner to head into the last row, and see a grille. I think OMG! in the dream, then it's over.

So I rolled by before class today. Going slow, checking every car like usual. I turn the corner... lo and behold, an old-school grille. YES!

Wagon? Obviously not. A sedan? No. It's a coupe! A blue one (the darker-light blue). Park, hop out, check it out.

Obviously garaged. Beautiful, shiny paint. Only 1 quarter-sized wheel-well rust spot on each side. Underbody, shocks not rusty. New tires. Rear drums. Clean interior, cargo cover.

Then I check the VITALS. Stick? Crap! Auto. Turbo? No. Miles? 055381!!!

Oh, and it's 2wd...

I know it's a long shot, but I had to know what they were asking for it. Find the sales guy. Ask him. He says "uhh.... mmm...." for 30 seconds straight. Then says "I'll take thirty-five-hundred." I laughed out loud at him.

"But it's a 2wd automatic" I say.

"Yeah... It only has 55 thousand miles."

"Well I'm not even going to try bargaining. Thanks."

And that was the end of that.

So I stopped in again tonight after hours.

The doors were unlocked this time, and there was a price on the window.

Interior is good. Not anything close to mint, not great, elec tape over some molding (holes), has a smell, some stains, blah blah.

Front bumper has damage. Buckled by right headlight.

Oil waaay overfilled (by the dealer no doubt). SPFI.

Coolant res empty, rad level good.

Here's the fun part... the sticker price... ready?..... $4,671

I $#!T you not.

I really want to know how this ends.

They have too make a living and a profit on the business or why sell cars.

It's one of those circle of life things.

It is high... understandable they will have to keep it up a bit for negotiating reasons.

One of the mechanics or salesmans kids will probably get a great deal on it if it doesn't sell.

• 10 months later...

dont meen to high jack but a teach at the high school here has a 93 loyal wagon really nice for sale she wants 2,200 for it i think its a good deal has ac/power windows locks belts cruse fule injected all works even has pioneer audio in all 4 doors and a pioneer cd deck to boot eh lol thaught id mention it

Hey,

I once bought a Subaru at a Ford/Toyota dealership. They were asking $1500.00. A week goes by, I stop in and offer $400.00. They sold it to me.

What's that car worth to "you"?

Doug

I got my brat about 6 years ago from a side o'the road place here. Asking price was 1700, After ten minutes I had it for $400.

They have too make a living and a profit on the business or why sell cars.

It's one of those circle of life things.

It is high... understandable they will have to keep it up a bit for negotiating reasons.

:lol:

The didn't pay more than $100 for that thing.

The didn't even really pay that, I'm sure.

They gave a $100 on trade (maybe even up to $500 if the buyer was a hardass), sold a new car for $2000 more than its worth, and are making money again on the old beater - By trying to sell it to an unsuspecting victim for higher than market value, higher than book value - and at a when it will have some prettty major maintenance due (which I'm sure the previous owner just had done, but the dealership 'lost' the paperwork)

Car dealers are thieves. Subaru and Toyota dealers seem to be the worst of the lot. But hey. Thieves have to make a living too.

Well, they obviously found a sucker. But whoever it was has a nice car for a long time to come.

Caleb

The didn't pay more than $100 for that thing.

The didn't even really pay that, I'm sure.

They gave a $100 on trade (maybe even up to $500 if the buyer was a hardass), sold a new car for $2000 more than its worth, and are making money again on the old beater - By trying to sell it to an unsuspecting victim for higher than market value, higher than book value - and at a when it will have some prettty major maintenance due (which I'm sure the previous owner just had done, but the dealership 'lost' the paperwork)

Car dealers are thieves. Subaru and Toyota dealers seem to be the worst of the lot. But hey. Thieves have to make a living too.

A long time ago, I needed a work truck. I had a 83 wagon that I had resurrected and converted to 4wd (A few years before USMB). It wasnt the cleanesjob but it worked. I had already bought a few cars from a local Ford/Mazda Dealership(Fugate in Enumclaw) and they usually did me right. I was really shocked when he gave me $1200 tradein value for my Soob:eek: I drove home in my (used) 94 B2600i Mazda ext cab 4wd pickup:banana: