Ultimate Subaru Message Board

never seen this before - oil on top of engine?

my daily driver XT6 has oil on top of the engine. spark plugs 3 and 5 (passengers side rear two) have oil around the spark plugs, appears to be flowing from underneath the intake manifold and towards the center of the engine somewhere. most of the oil is just sitting on top of the engine block. PCV system is all clean and tight there is no oil on the wiring, hoses, etc. just on top of the engine block. can the bolts that hold the block together leak? wouldn't that be really odd? i don't see it pouring out from anywhere but i'm putting 1+ quarts in per 1,000 miles.

i'm thinking i'll clean the top off as much as i can and see if i can spot where it's starting.

i wish! not valve covers i've seen plenty of those. it's coming from the block. not the cam towers, centrally located - the block. it's directly under the intake manifold on the p/s half of the block. two of the bolts that hold the block halves together sit in sort of "indented" areas of the block. these are filled with oil just sitting in them. no signs of spatter or spray, just oil lying on the block.

this is definitely fresh oil. XT6 has electric power steering, not around that area where it would be on an EA82.

oil is the only thing it's loosing and it's alot. and there's a lot of oil on top of the block. i mean oil, not caked on grease/dirt/grime. definite signs of oil just pooling up. oil filler is on the other side on an XT6 so that's not it either.