Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's done! w00t!

Andyjo

it'd be sweet if you could put a shorter radiator in there, and remove that lower support, so the bumper really is the first thing things would hit, then put a skidplate that attaches right to the bumper.

that the plan in the end, not sure what to do about the radiator... i may see if i can just move it... and chop the support right off.

perhaps put the radiator under the hood scoop?

who knows...

off the topic....but if those rims are 16 inchers...was there any noticable gas miled loss?

i just threw some 16" wrx rims on my 96 impreza(normally 15" wheels)...and was wondering if it changes anything...i dont care enough to take them off..im j/w

btw with the new wrx rims my car looks like its worth way more than the 800 i payed for it...i gotta post some pics:headbang:

(adds a sort of meaner look than the half silver half black steelies)

my milage dropped, if i go by the odometer, because it counts lower, but if i go by the GPS the whole way, it's roughly the same, although the tires i have on there have a more aggressive tred than my touring tires... so that could also drop it a little.

Note: the shackle mounts work :grin:

there was some pulling of 'stuff' on campus which needed to be accomplished, it got done very well :headbang: that thing is rather solid :clap:

i'm thinking i may cut up some plate to use as 'washers' on the top end of the bolts, so it distributes the force a bit more

eh, we'll see :brow:

Schweet! That's one of the meanest lookin' Impreza's I've seen ! Nice work!!!:grin:I like the yellow saftey tabs on the x-bars..nice touch! Ya just need the AT/or MT on it + skid/bashplate and it would be the bomb!

go all out with tractor tires dude.

that lower rad support really bothers me... if you're good with soldering wouldnt be tooo hard to shorten it, but could be a bit of work and might not cool good enough. Other options I were considering for my case were moving it to the hood, or possibly on the roof or tailgate.

SWEET bumper

The radiator can be moved up a bit.

Make some brackets that look like this ____

|_____

put the higher side at the bottom of the radiator and the lower side on the beam. This should push it up a bit. atleast until it clears the beam. You can either cut the beam and put in a thinner one or whatever.

For the take make another set of bracket and put holes to support the radiator.

You will have to put spaces for the hood latch to work. Be careful though, this may compromise your hoods ability to stay latched and it could fly open on the freeway. I can post some picts tomorrow on what I did.

BW

looks sweet. but if the paint scuffed off during install how is it going to hold up on the trail?

i was considering building some bumpers... but my idea for a coating is this rubberizing stuff that can be brushed on to metal. once it dries, it forms a layer of rubber that would keep moisture out and probably be pretty decent for protection.

looks sweet. but if the paint scuffed off during install how is it going to hold up on the trail?

i was considering building some bumpers... but my idea for a coating is this rubberizing stuff that can be brushed on to metal. once it dries, it forms a layer of rubber that would keep moisture out and probably be pretty decent for protection.

they paint wasn't completely cured or whatever... he painted it yesterday and it said it would be like 7 days for it to be completely cured

Whoah!

it's been road tested, no wierd wind noise, lots of funny looks, got some shackles on her too.

ALSO it may have gotten me a job :clap: i find out later this week.

Pic of the radiator setup would be awesome... and yeah i need to work on that skidplate eventually. i've got the belly part cut out, i just need some more plate to extend it up to the bumper, and back a little further.

I think the tow hooks may come off tonight if i can get ahold of the plasma cutter again.. if not... bust out the hack saw or sawzall :rolleyes:

i think if i were to do it again, i would have bent the tubes in a little more, they stick out like... 3/4" from under the fender on each side... i'm thinking flush would have been prettier.. but whatever.

ALSO, Lightforce 170's will fit under the bar :headbang:

oh yeah, some people wanted to know some specs

It weighs 52.7lbs

The steel cost $117 bucks (i have ALOT leftover)

The paint cost $12 bucks, and i still have 1.5 cans left

It's now sporting 2x 1/2" shackles ($15), i wanted 5/8 but they didn't have them there

looks great Andy! that heat paint is some hard stuff if it is put on in light coats and dried fully. i couldn`t even chip the paint of the engine i did with it:lol:

now you just need to fab up a 2inch body lift:brow:

is the job in metal fabrication??

andy,it's looks awesome..:headbang:

congrats on the possiable job..you gotta keep us posted on that.

make sure you post a pic when you have the lights mounted and those shakles..

(oh and remember to give those that look at you funny a big ol' :D)

To stop it (well, maybe not stop) from scuffing, use etch primer, then a really tough paint. Something rated for machinery. It will still scuff, just not as bad. I find just putting on rattle can paint doesn't hold up. Need that etch primer underneath.

Lookin good. And good luck with the job, lol.

oh yeah, isn't it illegal to weld to a unibody.. or something like that?

say.. if i cut out the lower rad support and welded in some 2x2" square tube in it's place.. a little higher up.. i dont see how that would be a problem :brow: