Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 wagon no guts

Hi guys, i have just purchased a 87 wagon 4wd and has a recon motor in car and done about 20000kms , and it just has no go, its using crap loads of fuel about $30 for 200kms and no pickup at all, got timing checked it was 18 degrees out and fuel micture all the way in, got that fixed but still no go any ideas guys ?

New member,

david

A possibility may be as I have run across two EA82s that had "recon" motors. Their trouble was some mechanic used a JDM turbo block with low compression ~7.5:1. Car ran like a top but no power. Check cylinder compression. Good luck.

If Ozified is right you should be only getting about 120PSI in all 4 cyl'eds. A N/A EA82 should get around 150PSI. Just as a tip, all four cyl'eds should be within 5PSI of each other. Older used motors sometimes get out by 10PSI. And if it's more then that you may have 1 or more bad cyl'ers. Recon'd engines should be pretty good and close to each other.

I believe that the EA82 carb's "mixture screw" is only for the idle. And won't effect driving mixtures. Other wise I dunno. So you set the timing to 10degrees BTDC? is your spark good? You may be having huge fuel useage because you are putting your foot down a lot more. So it might just be a power issue.

Driving very lightly on gas, and changing in high rev as well, 1st and 2nd and 3rd are ok but 4th and 5th no go , has new clutch in it to so idont know, has 2inch sports system and the cat has been cut out the front and welded after join of pipe and it resinates a little when foot is down and you here the noise from it

:banana:

also when i put into 4wd and lo it changes but dosnt lock in well and have to slam the 4wd lever down real hard to knock it out , could that have something to do with it ?

I have been playing with subys for a long time, and I found out a long time ago that you will not outsmart these people. The power system, aka motor, is an intricate and balanced unit. A very small unit doing a very big job, quite reliably, for a very long time. Few other can brag of the same longevity, reliability or versatility.

I have found that most problems can be traced to history. Every vehicle has a prior history, usually unknown.

Your exhaust anomoly would be a good place to start, but don't accept that a rebuild is perfect, or that someone hasn't changed something since then. You might want to check the belt timing, the cap & rotor, wires plugs, air filter, vacuum hoses; and set the mixture screw to 1and 3/4 turns out from full in. Good Luck.

Thanks i will have a look, i havnt really used a 4wd mode in a subi b4, so i roll about 3 5 kms and push clutch in and then cgange the lever ? do i have it in gear when i do it ?

4WD in a subaru is EXACTLY like 4WD in any other vehicle. In 4WD you will experience torque bind with any truck or SUV unless they have a center differential - this is refered to as AWD, or Full Time 4WD. A lot of trucks you have to backup 100 feet to get them out of 4WD. Clearly you haven't driven ANY vehicle with 4WD, or haven't used it. :rolleyes:

GD

Got it out of 4wd and into 4wd easy now after rolling it, cant find vac leaks , also on pass side air cleaner it has to pipes come out one is connected one isnt are they supposed to be both connected, ? i still have no guts in it, also if i cut out the cat and straight through pipe will it be a bigger noise ?

dave

Hi guys, i have just purchased a 87 wagon 4wd and has a recon motor in car and done about 20000kms , and it just has no go, its using crap loads of fuel about $30 for 200kms and no pickup at all, got timing checked it was 18 degrees out and fuel micture all the way in, got that fixed but still no go any ideas guys ?

New member,

david

2 things you need to know about soobi,s

1/ disconnect the egr vacuum hoses..and block it..

2/ disconnect the vacuum hose to the atmospheric valve on the drivers inner gaurd

bingo you,ll have around 35mile/gallon back...:banana:

Beg, borrow or find someone who isn't making his banana dance

to do a compression check.

It is a possibility that the re-con-artist did not get the timing belts on correctly.

One tooth off on either belt will cause "no guts"

The ignition timing being so far off is an indicator this may be the case.