Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was thinking about adjusting my valves on my 90 legacy L wagon auto 2.2. I have an 89 Toyota pickup and I adjusted the valves on it and it ran way better and took care of the fluctuating idle that it had and I don't know the history of this subaru at all. For all I know, it's never had any maintanence! It's got 275,000 miles on it and the motor is not the original. I don't know where they got that engine from, nor do I have a clue as to what the miles are on it. I pretty much know nothing, aside from the stuff I've done to it. Replaced tranny with 94 auto 120,000 miles, rear end from same car, all new belts including timing belt because it snapped on me the second day I had it. Oil change, new fuel filter, new tires. That's about it.

I was looking in this haynes book(haynes sucks I know)for my car and it has valve adjustment, but it says for 97 and later models...What the hell does that mean!? The book says it's for 90-98 Legacys! That's all it has. So what about my 90? The procedure looks exactly the same as on my Toyota and it's very simple. Should I go for it and adjust them to the specs for the "97 and later models"?

I was thinking about adjusting my valves on my 90 legacy L wagon auto 2.2. I have an 89 Toyota pickup and I adjusted the valves on it and it ran way better and took care of the fluctuating idle that it had and I don't know the history of this subaru at all. For all I know, it's never had any maintanence! It's got 275,000 miles on it and the motor is not the original. I don't know where they got that engine from, nor do I have a clue as to what the miles are on it. I pretty much know nothing, aside from the stuff I've done to it. Replaced tranny with 94 auto 120,000 miles, rear end from same car, all new belts including timing belt because it snapped on me the second day I had it. Oil change, new fuel filter, new tires. That's about it.

I was looking in this haynes book(haynes sucks I know)for my car and it has valve adjustment, but it says for 97 and later models...What the hell does that mean!? The book says it's for 90-98 Legacys! That's all it has. So what about my 90? The procedure looks exactly the same as on my Toyota and it's very simple. Should I go for it and adjust them to the specs for the "97 and later models"?

If I'm not mistaken, your 90 Legacy has hydralic lash adjusters... no valve adjustment needed or can be done. Downside, they can get stuck, and start floating at high RPMs (7k+ at least)

Oh, well it would be nice if the book pointed that out. Maybe it does actually but I didn't see it. I just looked in the index and went to the page for valve adjustment and it just said 97 and later models and that's it! From there it went on to explain the steps on doing it and totally didn't say anything about that. Good 'ol haynes for ya! Always got your back.

I just looked in the index and went to the page for valve adjustment and it just said 97 and later models and that's it!

You didn't read very carefully. 97 and later models have a different procedure, but the procedure for earlier models is also in there.