Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen1 BRAT with WRX shifter!

Zefy

alright so i went to a VIC (ish) meet at rocket rally in squamish today...

they were all installing short shifters... so i was looking at my tower of a shifter and then after a few convos we all thought it'd be funny to install the stock WRX shifter into my brat...

well it wasn't a quick bolt on of course... the shifter required modding...

luckily i can change it back in about 10 mins... it makes me laugh everytime...:-p

makes my shoulder cry...:rolleyes:

just so you know... PURELY FOR THE GIGGLE!

IMGP1927.JPG

so anyway... i don't recommend this mod to anybody... while it does improve shifting (really quite tight shifts... kinda cool) its WAY to short to be any good...

How much of the WRX shifting mechanism did you use? Just the shifter rod? Linkage?

Granted, I think it is too short for an EA81 car, but I think it might actually work for an EA82 and still leave a reasonable length shifter.

no i just used the shifter rod... no linkage... i used a grinder to make it fit into the stock linkage...

when i get my RX trans in there i'm gonna try and use the other WRX shifter i got... (yes i got 2...:-p)

ya i kinda wanna add a few inches... but then again it would probably be easier to chop down the stock shifter...

another problem is if i don't hold the shifter right then my hand hits the stereo... so i'd have to angle the shift lever more like the stock lever...

and the stereo is a normal pioneer deck... same size as all the rest...:)

i plan to change it back to stock after a while... its still kinda fun having such a short shifter... i'd put it back in for shows and such... still funny...:D

I had a chopped shifter in my Brat. It was cool! I cut off the threads of the shifter where the shift knob screws onto, chopped the rod off where it does the step up to hold the boot in place, then welded the threads back onto the shifter and voila! 5'' gone and worked real smooth:D