Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 with SPFI

Hi Everybody This is Jerry, as everybody knows i have a 80 hatchbrat with an 84 EA81 engine that i have install the SPFI from a 89 donor car. It dosen't run all i get when key is on the ecu flashes 5 times then the fuel pump relay will click on and fuel pump is running for about 5 seconds then it repeats itself. The check engine light is on all the time. My question is there somebody that live close to me that has done this swap over and knows how to trouble shoot this thing. Getting mad soon this swap over will be tossed in the garbage and old school will go back on it. My cell # 1-509-952-2855 Thanks Jerry

Hi, Jerry. Did you also swap over the donor's distributor (with the Cam Angle Sensor that the SPFI ECU needs)? You didn't mention it, so I thought that I would ask. :)

Also, are the green "diagnostic" connectors still connected... the ones that the donor car had near the wiper motor? I believe that this would cause the fuel pump to cycle... not sure about its effect on the ECU light.

Hi Northwet This is Jerry, yes i got everything from the donor car and yes the test pulg ins are still in the harrness. Snowman AKA Kelly copied that part of the FSM and i carefully done step by step to install this set up. As of now it's a peice of junk to me i can't drive my hatchbrat. Thanks Jerry

I already talked with Jerry about it, and I'm really not sure...aside from trying a different distributor and/or a different ECM, as well as going through all the sensor tests in the FSM, I'm not sure what else to suggest.Hope it works out for you in the end.

Hi GD This is Jerry, the donor car was a 89 front wheel drive 5 speed. I just done some test and i have spark boy do i have spark ouch that really herts. The engine ran for about 15 seconds at about 500 rpm. I look down the injector as i am cranking the engine there is some gas comming out of the injector not very much and i hear a click at the injector. The click repeats its self every 3 seconds or so. The timing has to be close because it wants to start real ez. Any ideas Thanks Jerry

Interesting - sounds like maybe a fuel delivery issue. Sounds like the ECU is trying to fire, but the fuel just isn't there. I'm pretty sure that if the ECU was bad or the disty was bad you would have no spark at all.

Check the fuel pressure going to the injector perhaps? Do you have the carb pump still installed and using the SPFI pump under the hood or the SPFI pump under the car in the stock pump's location? Maybe double check the fuel line connections to be sure the supply isn't connected to the return or something simple like that.

Also - It sounds like your fuel pump is geting power while cranking but maybe not when the key returns to the run position. So maybe a wireing issue but I imagine you have checked that already with Snowman...

I think dribbling some gas down the throat to see if it will run for a few on it's own is a good idea. Might at least narrow your search down to fuel system....

GD

Hey GD This is Jerry, i got a squrit can and shot some gas into the injector after it fired and it kept on running it is a fuel problem. Next step is to rig up a fuel pressure gauge to see what kind of pressure it has. Yes i use the 89 spfi pump and it is mounted at the tank. I am getting closer to getting it to run. I have another set up complete from a 86 spfi i hope the parts are the same. Thanks Jerry

Great! That means it should be a slam dunk once the fuel pump is operating.

I'll be interested to hear how you like the swap - I'm in the process of the same swap myself. Just finished up pinning the gear on the disty, and cutting off the second mounting tab. I'm going to do an EA81 specific write up of the process soon.

GD

Hey Dole This is Jerry, yes there is 5 power wires. 4 of them are key power and the other one is fuse power. I have them all hook up, the next step is to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to see what pressure the fuel pump is putting out. Thanks Jerry

Hi Everybody This is Jerry, well it's got fuel perssure so thats not what keeping from running. I went to the wrecking yard and got another TB and installed it well no go. I am at the point in 1 more month if it's not running that JUNK thats on it sounds like i am mad you betcha. It wiil be toss in the garbage and the old school carb will be back on it. If somebody can please help me before i shoot this damn thing well i not going to shoot it thats my subie. Thanks Jerry

Hi Shawn This is Jerry, to all the answers from your questions is yes. It's like the injector is plug up. When i crank the engine some gas comes out of it to get the engine started but no gas after that. I have fuel pressure it's not going through the injector. And spark wow it's got spark i have never seen a bolt jump that far. Thanks Jerry

Hey Rider This is Jerry, when i crank the engine over i can see fuel dribbling out of the injector and thats the only time i see fuel comming out of the injector. I installed the pressure gauge at the injector and the pump holds pressure because when i removed the gauge i got really wet. Thanks Jerry

What voltage does the injector work at? Maybe someone else on here knows. You should be able to apply whatever voltage it needs directly to the injector wires and get the injector to open and spray.... assuming the fuel pump is running at least that will tell you if the injector is going to spray properly or not.

Don't worry - we'll get you to the bottom of this eventually :rolleyes:

GD