Ultimate Subaru Message Board

disc brake swap ...DONE!!!!!

86ruguy

it took me 6 hrs but in all reality it would have been 5 but the cell phone kept ringing nonstop.

I will say that on an impreza that air tools are your best friends. If you had the parts laying there and people didn't disturb you 3-4 hrs is a real possibility.

When you put it all together....remember to anti sieze everything. If you ever have to go back to do wheelbearings you'll thank me!

other than not having the right parts is there anything that would get in the way of finishing this? it's the wifes ride and the rest of our herd are all manuals. the last resort will be she gets a 5 speed driving lesson i suppose!

thanks matt, already sourcing parts.

the biggest issue is the long bolt that holds the 2 control bars to the hub. They can be siezed sometimes :mad: if you have airtools you might get lucky and zip them right out.

Just remember the long bolt that goes through them is $33 each at the dealer and the nut on the end is $9 so be sure you don't mess them up.

If you don't have a wrench for brake tubeing (it is a box wrench with a small piece missing...buy one they are cheap and will be your best friend forever.

Get the hub assembly and brake lines the whole way to the chassis (through the strut mount and all) this is much better than pieceing it together.

If you got questions while you are doing it or before hand feel free to call me and I can talk you through.

sounds good, i got air tools and two OBS for parts so that shouldn't be too bad. 80,000 miles and no rust, hopefully i get lucky. the XT6 rear i just pulled was hell, probably like you're talking about.

i'll get that wrench and be sure to get all the brake hose i can. thanks!

The biggest contributor to time will be disassembly. If things come apart easy then it could be as fast as 2 hrs with air tools. If they are resistant to removal then it will take longer. Be sure to swap out the whole knuckle/hub assy. Also make sure that if you have ABS that the new parts have it as well. The E-brake lines will need to be swapped as well. Leave them connected to the brakes and disconnect at the E-brake handle.

I can't tell you how long it took me as I did it when I replaced all the running gear on my Impreza. I do not like Subaru drum brakes. Even when adjusted correctly they do not work real well. Every Subaru I own has had the swap if they didn't have rear discs already.

Holy cow I can't believe i forgot about the ebrake thing like Qman said. He is exactly right and remember this...if you can get the parts from another impreza only b/c if you get them from a legacy the ebrake cable is a little longer and you have to take the slack up somewhere under the car.

what kind of car did u get your parts from subeman?

i think i may tackle this too..once im done with classes..

and should it affect the alignment at all? i just got my car aligned for my wrx rims....and dont feel like shelling out another 50 bucks

(p.s. i talked to my buddy and hes not sure yet about the car..he just bought a new exhaust system for his cougar so i think hes pretty hung up on that yet..usually whenever i take him offroading he changes his mind)

• 2 weeks later...
I got my parts up at Harry's off of a 97ish impreza wagon that had 14" rims on it.

Alignment seems good...no pulling or wear issues. :D

how much did u end up spending at harry's? i thinking about buying all the stuff im going to need from an rs off a guy for 150 bucks...

however if i could find the stuff for cheaper at say harry's or joe's

im gonna go cheap

I spent almost $100 at harrys. If you can get it off a friend and do it for a little more then go that route...it might be easier in the end. We had a tough time getting them off at harry's...so we used a rechargable cut off wheel to cut the suspension (sshhhhhhh don't tell the people at harry's :brow: )