Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wondering what kind of tire sizes people are running on their late model Impreza TS wagons. My brother's got an '02 that he bought new and now it's in need of new tires. I know one thing he doesn't like is that when he goes to mountain and forest service roads, his clearance is a little low.

So, the big question is this: He has the stock tires, which are 195/60-15's. He was wondering how much bigger his tires could get without causing problems. I know the OBS has bigger tires, but does it also get more suspension? Or is the difference in ground clearance between the Impreza TS and the OBS due only to the tire size? What bigger tire sizes are people using on their plain-jane Imprezas?

I've ran quite a few tires on my OBS... have a large stack in the barn :rolleyes:

Littler: 195/60/R15 - Yokohama Avid Touring Tires

Stock: 205/60/R15 - Yokohama Avid Touring Tires

-Dunlop Graspic DS2's

Not So Stock: 215/60/R16 (Stock for a forester)

-Cooper Life Liner Classic II's

More: 225/60/R16 (a little rubbing, with lift.. took off the mud flaps)

-Cooper Life Liners

I really don't like the coopers, but i got them for free.. soo... take what you can get right?

;)

I think austin is running 28" BFGoodrich AT's.. but he's also got a lift and did some bashing i believe...

I think Zapar has gone through a ton of tires, i believe he ran some 27" Kumko MT's.. but dont' quote me on that... ask him :rolleyes:

From what I could figure out, the only differences in the OB Sport's "Heavy Duty Raised Suspension" from the TS's suspension are: the slightly larger wheels and tires, and taller springs. That's it. The struts are the same part number IIRC. And I think everything else is the same too.

He can run slightly larger tires, but I don't know if it'd gain too much clearance that way. We have WRX wheels / tires on our TS, and maybe could go up to 205/60/16, not sure. There doesn't seem to be a lot of extra room IMO... not sure how much he'd gain with tires alone :-\

Steve

• 1 month later...

Gary, they rubbed the mudflap screw head a tiny bit when the car was heavily weighted down.. i took all but one of the flaps off and they seem to fit fine. There is a nice shiney spot in the front, back-inside fender well from the tires at full lock i believe.

I'm pretty sure they'd fit a stock OBS... but i never tried before i lifted it.

So yeah.. they'll fit if you want them to, those tires came off of an 03' forester (i believe it's what they ran stock). The only problems you might run into are the mudflaps, and MAYBE the inside fender.. but that's only if you go full lock and gas it, daily ;)