Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need some advice on tires for my 2.5 GT

2.5GT with the 16 inch rims? I just got Goodyears (from a Goodyear Dealer for $110 a piece. BJs wanted $140. It is a brand new design and they hug the road so good compared to the Continentals I had before.

They are performance all weathers, not just strictly performance.

I had the Goodyears. They where good for all around driving, but they are too hard for "brisk" back roads. They are ok, if you like understeer. I would not recommend them on a track. They made a lot of noise when I pushed them.

I have Bridgestone Potenza G009 on my 98 GT currently. They are great in rain and snow and very quite on the highway. They are a bit hard for track/autoX use.

I had a set of Dunlop SP2000E before the Bridgestones. I would definitely recommend them for track use. I was able to keep up with an STi in the rain, until the straight of course:) . They were excellent summer and rain tires, but they were terrible in the winter. They seems to be magnetic though. I had three nails in tire at the same time.

BTW: Don't try to go any wider then 205 on the factory wheels or you may get rubbing on the rear struts when the suspesion compresses. There is not much clearance. Get some aftermarket wheels with a different offset for wider tires.

Rob