Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick crank pulley question

Just a quick question...

Crank pulley on '88 DL 2WD Wagon. There's no hole or place for a roll pin on the back side of the crank pulley.

Isn't there supposed to be roll pin between the pulley and the timing belt drive sprockets?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah - there usually is, but being they are V belts on your's, the torque of the bolt will hold it in place just fine. I've made them from the shank of a properly sized drill bit, but on my latest EA82 I just took the belts off a few weeks ago for the first time to find it's been lost prior to being owned by me. Just forget about it and the world will return to being right.

GD

nope i have done a few engines that did not have one. just get that thing tight. i have had one come off. thats not fun... the last one i did, i made a role pin so it couldnt back off.

-=Suberdave=-

Thanks! I had myself convinced someone had put the timing belt sprockets on in the wrong order or something, but I couldn't be sure. My '91 XT has a roll pin between outer timing belt sprocket and the crank pulley, but that car uses the ribbed belt system.

Now, the specifications call for 75 ft. lbs. of torque on that crank pulley. Well, I'm going for 100 ft. lbs. Having that dang thing spin off sounds like a crappy way to end a sunny afternoon drive!

Yeh,thats what happen to me and my girlfriend one afternoon,but luckily we were in a relaxed mood due to prior afternoon activity,s:D ..

anyhoo, if it dont have a pin . ill bet a few bucks it will come off sooner or later...especially if you put the aircond on at moderate rpm..you know the way it click,s on and off themostically.....that pulls the pully against the torque of the bolt...some people put 2 rear timing belt drive sproket on and forget that the rear dont have the right pin hole.....cheers

Thanks! I had myself convinced someone had put the timing belt sprockets on in the wrong order or something, but I couldn't be sure. My '91 XT has a roll pin between outer timing belt sprocket and the crank pulley, but that car uses the ribbed belt system.

Now, the specifications call for 75 ft. lbs. of torque on that crank pulley. Well, I'm going for 100 ft. lbs. Having that dang thing spin off sounds like a crappy way to end a sunny afternoon drive!

it happend to me the day i got the new engine in the car. it's kinda cool in that evrey warning light in the car comes on at the same time

from the EA81 and EA82 engines I've worked on about 50% of them didnt have the roll pin in the pulley. My 86 wagon never had one (only person to every take the pulley off)

That crank bolt is supposed to be torq'd to like 100 ft/lbs.. use a lil loctite and that bolt isnt gonna back out

from the EA81 and EA82 engines I've worked on about 50% of them didnt have the roll pin in the pulley. My 86 wagon never had one (only person to every take the pulley off)

That crank bolt is supposed to be torq'd to like 100 ft/lbs.. use a lil loctite and that bolt isnt gonna back out

Yah, locktite! That's what I need. Thanks!

All I had was one bolt design, kinda strange! what were they thinking!

To know the more torque you get out of the little engine, the more it wants to loosen the bolt up every time throttle is given (mine came off on the highway):eek:

I torqued it by finding a wedge for flywheel, and ignoring any torque specs with a breaker bar until the car was leaning to the pressure of me and all I could do to tighten.

• 1 year later...

Diggin up the dead here! :dead:

My pully unbolted itself twice yesterday, no pin ya know... It was the A/C- spun it right off! I was going to see about putting a pin, but I guess those nice fellows at Fuji already thought of that... So if I look at it again, I should see a hole for a pin? Sounds great! Anybody know what size that pin should be? Thanks!!:burnout: It'll be nice to run the A/C again!!!!:banana:

Diggin up the dead here! :dead:

My pully unbolted itself twice yesterday, no pin ya know... It was the A/C- spun it right off! I was going to see about putting a pin, but I guess those nice fellows at Fuji already thought of that... So if I look at it again, I should see a hole for a pin? Sounds great! Anybody know what size that pin should be? Thanks!!:burnout: It'll be nice to run the A/C again!!!!:banana:

I've got a set of turbo pulleys up here with pin and hole, you can have if you are coming up.

IIRC, the turbo models all had pins, as well as the XT's, so basically any MPFI. All the rest had no pin.

IIRC, the turbo models all had pins, as well as the XT's, so basically any MPFI. All the rest had no pin.

Odd. Not a single one of my EA82Ts have had a pin.

The few carb motors I have had have all had pins. I always use a carb crank pulley now - because it has a pin and because it weghs half as much as the turbo pulley.