Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82-T Performance Cams

Hey guys I have been searching for people who have used the Delta Cam Grinds in thier EA82-T's but havent found much.

My questions are :

Has anyone installed Delta 260 or 272's in the EA82-T's?

If so, does the motor finally make power past 5000rpm? Also how is the top end?

I'm seriously considering the 272 grind when I get a new set of Gen3 Heads, since I have the TD04 Turbo, Intercooler, Injectors, Ignition and Engine Managment I think it will work out nice, but wanted to hear a few opinions first.

Low end power isnt that important to me since right now I have ALL LOW END and NO HIGH END, end result I'm great until the end of 2nd gear then things change. Plus if I had tons of high end I wouldn't have to launch it at 4k rpm's just to make sure I got the ground from the start, I could just launch easy then let the powerband take over ;)

Thanks in advance.

Does the grind tighten duration and leave lift?

Keeping all that can get in and the timing tight isn't the best way to get power at all rpm range? The OEM seems conservative already....why grind it? :-\

I have the 260 grind.

Best power from 4-6 range. (I always shifted at 6k)

Great for "spirited" driving and highway use.

I would highly recommend stock cams for anyone driving theirs "normally".

Power in the 2.5-4.5 range is nice for everyday use.

I often thought about going back.

But that was cancelled with thoughts of future supporting mods.

There was more done to my engine at the same time cams were installed, so I can't attribute everything to them.

stock injectors cleaned, everything else cleaned, valve job, new plugs, cap, rotor, resealed, new pumps, intake silencer removed, AMSOIL, every single electrical contact cleaned...

If grinding cams takes away duration and lift, then it changes tight range to an even higher rpm? If there is a problem with "the fat oem cams" (that is really funny to say out loud). Your car has a problem elsewhere, especially turbo- they love the air if you get it in right. I have twice taken the powerless ea82 and simply given it air , proper exhaust pipes and tight timing, to have a power range alot higher through the whole range (that is all you can do to it!). mine really starts to take off at around 3000 (as usual -for any ea82) and I could easily go till something broke without a skip, fart bang or pop to 7000 so far (where I really must let off the old engine- 151k miles), and even at this ,it is still a little engine, just enough to get around.Anybody add lift to the cams, port the little intake a bit, let it whistle what it wants right in....?:burnout:

That would be intereresting, on like 11:1 compression (or of course big turbo's cooled on lower compression). Fun, fun.

methinks your missing the point. they dont just grind down the stock cams, they add material to them and then regrind them to what ever profile you ask for.

If grinding cams takes away duration and lift, then it changes tight range to an even higher rpm? If there is a problem with "the fat oem cams" (that is really funny to say out loud). Your car has a problem elsewhere, especially turbo- they love the air if you get it in right. I have twice taken the powerless ea82 and simply given it air , proper exhaust pipes and tight timing, to have a power range alot higher through the whole range (that is all you can do to it!). mine really starts to take off at around 3000 (as usual -for any ea82) and I could easily go till something broke without a skip, fart bang or pop to 7000 so far (where I really must let off the old engine- 151k miles), and even at this ,it is still a little engine, just enough to get around.Anybody add lift to the cams, port the little intake a bit, let it whistle what it wants right in....?:burnout:

That would be intereresting, on like 11:1 compression (or of course big turbo's cooled on lower compression). Fun, fun.

i don't know what the number was but i have the not-for-street-use delta cams in one of my XT6. being the same pistons, valve trains, rods and all as the EA82, it may be similar to the EA82T. mine is a daily driver, i'm not a performance guy but i tried them for kicks. no vaccuum, braking sucked (due to the vaccuum loss), downshifted more going up hills (loss of low end), and the power was higher than i needed it to be. i ported the intake side of the heads and matched the gaskets through the intake manifold and head as well. loss of low end. i had a high flow converter and larger exhaust. i won't try that again, but like i said it's a commuter/functional car for me. you guys might have better luck and more fun with it.

Oh. They do add material. A nice snappy high revving cam in a 2wd sedan would be nice. Let the low end die a bit, transaxles don't last very long anyway...Who's got some decent numbers for long duration high lift for an ea82?:)

I just called Delta Cams and talked with the guy, we came to the conclusion that the 272 grind would be best for my engine, and he said thats because I have Engine Managment and the Bigger Turbo.

He said it should scream with my mods.

He also said the 260 is about as big as you can go with stock engine managment before things get tricky.

They want $71 per cam to regrind them and turn around is about 2 days tops.

I'm gonna go ahead and do it, I will post dyno results when I get the motor back up and running.

the 260 cams make power according to the butt dyno until 7500...at that point either the valves are starting to float or something else is going on.

Otherwise, low range stays the same, mid range is improved...top end actually exists.

EXTREMELY streetable.

what are the issues with the 272 cams?? thats what i was thinking about getting for my car.

what would it take to run the 272?

Yeah I posted this a few posts back, with the 272 cams you need engine managment so the car can idle and deal with the changes in airflow.