Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rare soob?

Ok I looked at the search forums and IT didnt say anything.. I have 87 subaru hatchback standard. Is this a rare car.. It has round headlights and everything.. I have never seen a soob as new as mine, with round headlights.. Its wierd

If I see a Standard hatch with round headlights, it's usually an older one, so yeah, yours is slightly rare.

But I live in FL, where seeing a Subaru is rare enough as it is :-\ Someone in the PNW might see 5 late-model Standard hatchbacks a day...

cool cuz i was wondering if I should continue to beat teh hell out of it or lower it make a street car, by doing the 150 hp 1600 pistons milled heads, u know al that.. the round headlights kinda give it a older import look, i like it

cool cuz i was wondering if I should continue to beat teh hell out of it or lower it make a street car, by doing the 150 hp 1600 pistons milled heads, u know al that.. the round headlights kinda give it a older import look, i like it

Well, the car weighs like nothing, so it's not like it needs a lot of power to move...

That would be sweet - especially in a STD. Always have liked the STD hatch.

Interesting tho - the STD hatch came with the EA71.... so perhaps he has a replacement engine already. :confused:

GD

I briefly had an '83 STD hatch.. EA71 4-spd. That sucker could get up and go, especially after I stripped the interior.

I should ask my brother-in-law how it's doing...

Edit: Just found out the ECU on it died shortly after I sold it to him, he says he's trying to bypass it. That kind of worries me.

Hatchy's rig has a single range 4 speed side starter mount. I don't see those much.

If it's truly a STD hatchback, of course it's an S/R... STD's were never offered as 4WD models, only 2WD. If it's 4WD, it's at LEAST a DL. (unless that was a refit done by an owner of the vehicle)

Edit: wow, too much Everett posting going on here. World... closing... in! (So if you see a faded toreador red STD hatchback with no interior, that's my brother in law)

Yeah Sooboutlaw. Has The 1600 Flywheel Thing That Adapts To The 1800 Tranny. Yeah My Car Is An 87 Subaru St According To Vin So Your Saying That And 87 St Hatch Came Origanaly With A 1600 That Would Be Sweet If I Had A Dif Motor. Because Its Getting High In Miles

Yeah Sooboutlaw. Has The 1600 Flywheel Thing That Adapts To The 1800 Tranny. Yeah My Car Is An 87 Subaru St According To Vin So Your Saying That And 87 St Hatch Came Origanaly With A 1600 That Would Be Sweet If I Had A Dif Motor. Because Its Getting High In Miles

Look at the front of the block - is it stamped EA71 or EA81?

If it's stamped EA81, then check the valve covers for a gold sticker that reads "Do Not Adjust Valve Clearance". If that is present you have a hydro lifter EA81 - best EA81 to have. If it does not have hydro lifters, then it's an early EA81 from a 80-82, or 83/84 manual trans. There are further checks to narrow it down if it has solid lifters. 83/84 had larger intake valves and the head castings are slightly different.

As for the STD having the 1600 - yes it should have come that way. They made the STD and GL hatch's till 89... and if the engine blew up the owner would have had a very hard time locating a 1600 side starter - thus a replacment 1800 would have been fitted (educated guess).

GD

yeah i have an ea81 and it does say dont adjust valve clearance on a gold sticker.. thast why I had a hunch that it was a newer motor.. and it has alot of power like a newer motor.. so thast sweet to know that I have a diff motor in there so that could mean that my miles arent very high, which doesnt matter with soob to much cause they run forever especially the ea81 and 71