Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Let's name that noise again :)

At first I thought it was a wheel bearing, but now I am thinking CV joint :confused:

light-medium grinding noise at all speeds, seems to get very slightly louder when I turn in either direction and when I accel it seems to get a tiny bit louder too. I havent checked the axle nut yet, but since you guys are the Scooby doctors I figure I would ask first.

Gracias.

See if it's this: If you can get the car on jackstands, spin the wheel with your hands and see if its the backing plate on the inboard side of the wheel hub. Those can rot and begin contacting the drum. Bend the offending piece out of the way or snip it off. Noise gone.

the noise definatley gets louder when I turn in either direction. I really hope its the axle nut or somethign rubbing because I have to drive the car at least 400 miles before I can fix anything. depending how close the wheel is to straight the noise can get pretty light but it can get a bit loud when I am turning at speed. Almost the same noise as when you run your pads all the way down so its backing on rotor.

Think the car can do 400 miles mostly highway until its fixed? No vibration in the steering wheel except for feeling a bit of the grinding sensation.

i pulled the wheel and I have plenty of pads left and brakes feel good.

I think 400 miles is do able, right? It could just be a loose axle nut - I wont be able to check that until I drive it 150 miles to my garage though. But if its wheel bearing its going to have to go back those 150 plus come BACK down those 150 the following weekend to fix it.

one last bit - sorry for the assualt on this topic - since the garage is so far from my apt I have my concerns about the distance being driven and what it really is making the noise.

- It makes noise at VERY low speeds too. One of the brake pad shims seems a bit out of place I wonder if its causing the end of the pad to dig in? It sounds very metal on metal though. Definate grinding. And since it gets louder if I steer in EITHER direction I just keep getting more and more confused. :confused:

You definately have a something rubbing something that it shouldn't be issue.. I have put those shims in wrong and makes a noise like what you're describing. It could be a tiny part of a shim or possibly the backing plate that was mentioned rubbing on your rotor. Can you properly support the car off of the ground and let all the wheels turn to try and pin down the noise? Or even better, let the hubs turn with the wheels off. Don't try this unless you can PROPERLY support your car. It might give you more clues if the noise goes away with the weight of the car not being on the suspension, etc. I would think you could probably make the drive, if you can put up with the grinding.

So I was able to look at the car this weekend. It definately seems its a wheel bearing. A very little bit, but noticeable amount of play on the wheel and the noise seems to be right there with the brakes off.

I am going to order a kit and do it this upcoming weekend I think. Any good place to order from? I am reading up on the procedure on the Loyale and it sounds like its a pretty easy bearing - no press needed etc. Any advice though? I am not sure if there is hub damage, but I read about a DIY fix if there is, but I cant find what the fix actually is.

Wow, i was just going to post about this issue, I just started driving my 87 GL wagon after doing an ea81 swap in, and noticed the same thing. Going straight it is fine ; taking corners makes it go "grr grr grr grr" and you can feel it through the steering wheel and brakes. I know the brakes are shot on the car so I will check those. I am hoping the axle nuts are just not as tight as they should be. I will let you guys know what it ends up being, I am hoping it isnt toasted bearings though :(