Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Noobie looking to buy. need advice...

ok so I am in the market for an outback and finally ready to ditch my Jeep. **I know***, who would do such a thing? $1500 this year in repairs and a v8 tends leads me to the reliable Roo.

anyways, I don't know much about subarus and have been trying to do as much research as possible. before I start test driving and figuring out which vehicles I like are there any recommendations for specific years that are better than others? I've read about head gasket issues, is this particular to a specific year? I also read the cup holders are in a bad position in the 97 to 99.

i am looking to spend up to $13k and want to make sure that I am not buying into a "problem year".

any heads ups would be much appreciated!!!

thanks! :burnout:

dave

Lots of threads on this.

If I were looking I would consider a post 2003 2.5, H6, or the Outback Sport with a 2.2.

You stand a bit more of a head gasket problem chance with any DOHC phase 1 2.5 engine. The 99 in Forester and 2000 in Outback-Legacy phase 2 2.5 is a big improvement and only stands the chance of an external leak unless over heated. After 2003 leaks are rare.

Most of them that have replacement head gaskets are fine.

It is rare to find a good old 2.2 but most of us like them as with good maintence they are a great engine.

yeah, but wouldn't leaks in the 2003-on cars be rare because they are still babies? (considering not many people are crazy enough to drive 100-150k in three years to prove if hg leaks are finally cured from those motors)

its not to deter anyone, i'm just curious...(and yes, curiosity did kill the cat, but i'm kind of a risk taker :grin: )

Frankly the leaks on the earlier gaskets started popping up with low mileage. Nobody was paying much attention because they weren't bad. The first owner of my car said she thought it was normal to always have to add a bit of water because the car did it from shortly after new.

Cold weather really brought the leaks out when the shrinkage occurred.

i am looking to spend up to $13k and want to make sure that I am not buying into a "problem year".

Oh, this is just too perfect a setup and I can't resist! (With apologies in advance to cookie!)

So, here's what ya does. Ya goes and finds yourself the best mature Legacy you can get--1990 through '96--bulletproof non-interference 2.2L, non-turbo with 5-speed manual tranny, +/- $2000.

Then you give it a thorough once-over. Replace, repair, restore the basics, tuneup, +/- $2000.

Then just enjoy driving it.

The other $9K? Ah, you'll figure something out for that.

I know, I know--not practical for most people. Just an old guy's--er, mature guy's dream!

You mean like Emily? My 14 year old Legacy wagon that has 200K miles on the odo, and still keeps having to tow newer cars off the road because they are broken down?

haha, thats awesome. soon you'll be able to wave to them as well once that sunroof goes in....