Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everybody!

Last month I purchased my first Subaru, a 1996 Impreza LX AWD Brighton. It has the 1.8L SOHC, 5spd manual transmission, and 151,000 miles. Paid $1500.00 for it. In the past month I replaced the plugs and wires and changed the oil + filter.

When my mechanic had the car up on the lift he pointed out to me oil that was dripping from the motor. He said it was the cam seal and that they were known for going bad on the 1.8 + 2.2 motors and that I should have it replaced within the next few months as well as do a timing belt.

Is there anything else I should have done while the this work is being performed? oil pump? water pump? This car runs mint and I'd like to keep it for a while. I'm open to any suggestions and recommendations.

Also, this car seems a bit sluggish. I am not complaining but I'd like to have a little more oomph for getting on the highways. What do you guys suggest I do? I'm not looking for anything drastic, just a little added pep

Thank you

Jason

Welcome aboard, Jason. I think you made a good buy.

Sounds like your mechanic is right on. Probably should replace both cam seals and the crank seal, re-seal the oil pump and by all means throw a new water pump on while you're in there. Also check the belt idlers and tensioner.

As for do it yourself stuff, you might want to replace the fuel filter too.

I'm not big on additives and "magic-cures-in-a-bottle" but running Seafoam through the top end and a Techron injector cleaner through the fuel tank sure made my old Legacy feel better.

Check the PCV valve and maybe replace. Clean the MAF sensor (I assume the 1.8 has one?) but do so gently--use a spray cleaner and don't touch the fine little wires!

Another often overlooked item--remove your brake calipers and make sure the slides are clean and well greased (gives you a chance to inspect your brake pads too!) It's amazing what the slightest bit of drag can do to performance and gas consumption.

Search and read lots here on the board and ask lotsa' questions--there's tons of Subie wisdom here.

Above all, enjoy your ride!

How much more oomph do you want? you could drop an ej22 in the bad boy.. or.. depending on how 'usable' you want it to be, take out some heavy stuff.. seats & spare tires, etc.. :rolleyes:

Fuel filter is usually a good thing to change, when you're in there w/ the oil pump, make sure the 4 phillips screws in it are tightened up, they're known to loosen up & leak oil, like a good little subaru. ;)