Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'll take all the advice I can get.

I recently purchased a 1980 Brat for $600. I thought I was doing a good thing by changing plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor....etc. Now it seems to run worse than it did before. Kinda loads up when you first start it, idles a little rough.

I've done everything I know to do, (checked spark, timing, yada yada....).

It only has 85,000 original miles, so it couldn't be too worn out yet I wouldn't think. Any ideas how to make her purr???? :confused: Don't be shy, I can take any kind of criticism if I've done something stupid... HELP!!!!

I just have to tell someone about my junkyard find today. Went looking for heater control knobs and found jump seats AND a rollbar. Seat are kinda rough, not too bad though. Any hints for "shining" them up, and modify the mounting rack from an '83 to an '80. Roll bar is like new, it's been in the bed of a '80 Brat under a sleeper shell so no sun or weather has gotten to it. (Wish the seats had been in this same Brat). Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me. I'm having a blast tinkering with my new Toy. My boyfriend thinks I've lost my mind. Little does he know.........:brow:

check you did not bump a vacuum hose off...its sounds like its something simple like that, recheck the rotor button is down securely,and cap on right....if its points maybe you should change those too...it cant be anything else really...did you touch the carb screws???...:brow:

Sounds like a vacuum leak - you may have inadvertantly dislodged a vacuum line while pulling on the plug cables, etc. Use a spray can of carb cleaner while the engine is running to locate leaks - the engine idle will smooth out noticably when you spray around the leak area.

For the seats - use a 3M green scrub pad (most auto body supply's carry these) to scrub off the oxidation.

GD

check you did not bump a vacuum hose off...its sounds like its something simple like that, recheck the rotor button is down securely,and cap on right....if its points maybe you should change those too...it cant be anything else really...did you touch the carb screws???...:brow:

These things are vacuum hose nightmares!!! I can't find any that are not connected. I was VERY careful to put them back where they came from. (even labeled them to make sure) No points, it's electronic. I will however check the rotor and cap. I did not mess with the carb screws at all. Those things scare me. :eek: Too easy to REALLY mess up. Air cleaner is new. Even installed a new PCV valve. (Thanks Manxta)

Tried the carb cleaner trick already, no results from that either. (Thanks GD) I'm stumped!

Thanks also for the seat tips GD and Sako. Gonna go out and play with the seats right now.

Keep the advice coming kids! I need to learn as much as I can about my new toy.:banana:

Well - the idle circuit in the carb could be partially clogged.... give the carb a redneck cleaning - rev the engine by turning the throttle valve - get it up there - 3 or 4,000 RPM. Then stuff a rag over the carb opening (with the air cleaner top off), till the engine almost dies. This will create a massive vacuum in the carb and hopefully suck out any gunk. As simple as it sounds, it really does work often times.

Also see if your can move the main throttle shaft of the carb (up and down) - sometimes they are worn out to the point that it will never idle smooth without a new carb or having the throttle shaft rebushed.

GD

I looked up the firing order and did it by the book(Chilton).....hope it was right..

Pull each plug wire while the engine is running to verify the cylinder is fireing - it should run worse each time you pull one. If you pull one and there is no change, then you need to investigate further why that cylinder is not fireing.

GD

Pull each plug wire while the engine is running to verify the cylinder is fireing - it should run worse each time you pull one. If you pull one and there is no change, then you need to investigate further why that cylinder is not fireing.

GD

I had the boyfriend help me with the "redneck" carb cleaning you suggested. It actually helped a little bit. I'm gonna try the spark plug wire thing tomorrow. (Too tired to play any more today) :banghead:

It has been sitting for a while, so maybe just daily driving will help it clean out a little too???? I threw some gas treatment in the tank for good measure, (don't really know if that even helps, but I felt better 'cause I was at least doing something constructive). :rolleyes: Keep those cards and letters coming folks, like I said, I'll take all the advice I can get. Guess I should be moving to the "historic subie section. I didn't read the details close enough. My next silly question will be posted over there.......Barb

If the Redneck trick worked a little bit, it really might be time for a good rebuild on that carb - a teardown and overnight soak in carb cleaner and all new gaskets should make it right again. Unfortunately this seems to be fairly common with the old Hitachi's. They get awful finicky with age, and the jets are sunk into the "floor" of the float bowl where dirt and debris can just get sucked into them.... or have you put any thought into a Weber conversion? I'm sure there are members in your area that would lend a hand. It's actually quite an easy conversion. They tune well, and your entire driving experience will improve 100%. I recently did the conversion to my 86 sedan, and this time around I went with a used carb from a board member ($80) and after a rebuild, a couple new jets, and changing the choke to an electric style I got the whole job done for just under $200.

Daily driving will probably help some, yes. The new gasoline will dissolve some of the old varnish in the carb. Gas treatment works wonders..... at cleaning your wallet.

Being that your question is engine related only, this forum is fine - the engine in your Brat (EA71) was availible in the Gen 2 body's till 89, so it's largely a toss up. If you have body or trim or interior questions it will probably best be put in the other forum. Frankly tho, you'll get much better results in this section as most people (like me) don't go over there a lot.

GD

a tank of 89 or maybe 92 should help at cleaning some of the crud out. i dont know much about carbs, but i would think the detergents in the gas will clean carbs as well as they clean fuel injectors.

If the Redneck trick worked a little bit, it really might be time for a good rebuild on that carb - a teardown and overnight soak in carb cleaner and all new gaskets should make it right again. Unfortunately this seems to be fairly common with the old Hitachi's. They get awful finicky with age, and the jets are sunk into the "floor" of the float bowl where dirt and debris can just get sucked into them.... or have you put any thought into a Weber conversion? I'm sure there are members in your area that would lend a hand. It's actually quite an easy conversion. They tune well, and your entire driving experience will improve 100%. I recently did the conversion to my 86 sedan, and this time around I went with a used carb from a board member ($80) and after a rebuild, a couple new jets, and changing the choke to an electric style I got the whole job done for just under $200.

Daily driving will probably help some, yes. The new gasoline will dissolve some of the old varnish in the carb. Gas treatment works wonders..... at cleaning your wallet.

Being that your question is engine related only, this forum is fine - the engine in your Brat (EA71) was availible in the Gen 2 body's till 89, so it's largely a toss up. If you have body or trim or interior questions it will probably best be put in the other forum. Frankly tho, you'll get much better results in this section as most people (like me) don't go over there a lot.

GD

Guess I'll stay here then. I do need help mostly with engine related stuff.

What do you think about the higher octane gas thing? Does it help or is it just another "wallet cleaning" exercise?

Don't have the funds for a carb rebuild or conversion right now, but it has entered my mind. I'll have to deal with that later I guess.

These engines are too simple. A tune up usually cures everything!

I'm suspecting something else.

If you were to put all the old crap back on would it run smooth again?

I think something you did caused the problem.

I think it's just a matter of back tracking to find out what happened?

Are the wires snug on the plugs and the distributor?

Are your fuel filters clean?

Are any plugs fouled? How did the old plugs look?

Any unhooked wires dangling around?

If it used to run good then back track to find the problem.

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

These engines are too simple. A tune up usually cures everything!

I'm suspecting something else.

If you were to put all the old crap back on would it run smooth again?

I think something you did caused the problem.

I think it's just a matter of back tracking to find out what happened?

Are the wires snug on the plugs and the distributor?

Are your fuel filters clean?

Are any plugs fouled? How did the old plugs look?

Any unhooked wires dangling around?

If it used to run good then back track to find the problem.

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

I was thinking about doing this exact thing. Maybe it just doesn't like it's new stuff. I've checked the wires 3 or 4 times just to make sure (can anyone say obsessive/compulsive?). I think I'll pull the new plugs out and put the old ones back in and put on the old wires and see what gives. It smells like it's running rich too. But I'm too scared of really screwing up the dang carb to even mess with that. Sorry I sound so helpless, but I really am doing this by myself, and I'm a little initimidated by it all right now....But I REALLY appreciate all the advice. I've had 2 other roo's but it's been so long ago, I can't remember what they sounded like and whatever (old age maybe?):-\