Ultimate Subaru Message Board

STI engine in a 92 Loyale?

Hurley

I had an idea about my horsepower issue. Why not drop an STI engine into my loyale? can it be done? what would an sti engine be considered as in terms of EJ (EJ22 etc)? I can still lift it and put the D/R tranny from a 1980s sube right? kind of an old meets mid meets new i guess. Any suggestions?

Hurley

it can be done. as seen on my webpage. http://www.suberdave.com. USDM STI's are EJ25, EJ205, EJ207 JDM STI's are EJ20. (correct me if im wrong, i dont know much about newer Subaru stuff.) it will take some minor modification, but it only took me about 100 hours to do mine. the wiring is the hardest part. everything else just about bolts right up...

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

You will probly have an easier time swapping in one of those and it is quite a bit cheaper.

I agree you are going to spend in upwards of several grand getting the STi motor. You never can go wrong with an EJ22, but it would be pretty badass to see a loyale with one of those monstors in it.

Putting any EJ series engine into a Loyal would be about the same amount of work. So it really comes down to cost. If you go with the new 2.5 USDM STi engine, forget about the EA series D/R tranny unless you have a trailer load of them and like replacing trannies. I would think that a N/A EJ22 would be the limit of power for an EA series D/R tanny. I would sticjk with the tranny that come with the STi engine. You'll need to shorten the driveline 55mm.